"RECORDING OF THE WEEK"?????

It may have been done before. If so, please let me know.

So often we are told by a friend about a band, tune, recording that is great…..
We come home with the Disc/Record and enjoy, but few people find out.
There have been many threads here about “recordings to die for” etc..

How about one for new tunes?

To be a bit more detailed about the spirit of my request:
I think everyone knows when Sting releases his new record.
But what about great tunes that the average person would not know about?
If we could share this information in the following format, it might be helpful.

BRUCE HORNSBY
“HERE COME THE NOISE-MAKERS. LIVE-98/99/00”
Live recordings of Bruce and company. Very good live recording, including a couple of Grateful Dead covers. Rock-oriented mix, with a “jam-band” flavor.

If it was kept similar to the format above, as time goes on, the thread could be used as a quick reference for people in search of new tunes.

I would love to hear any suggestions.

What have you found recently worthy of mention?
gumbydammit
I will throw Jay Webber's new CD into the mix, 'I Can See'. Jay is a Nothern Michigan small town singer/songwriter, which admittedly is more 'campfire' music than anything else (at least I have witnessed this more than once, and he's really good at it), but he has a wonderful voice and unique pickin' style. His first recording 'Innocent Child' is quite good as well.

You can download a couple of mp3's to check him out, at www.jaywebber.com.

Check him out!
Z
I know this is not place but perhaps there are 1 or 2 more wonderers like myself -- A couple of new CDs, one is called "Verve Remixed" and the other "Sounds from Verve hi-fi". These are new "clubsy" remixes of old masters (ie: N Simone, B Holiday, S Horn, E Fitzgerald, D Washington etc etc) done by the big boys of "downtempo" and "lounge" grooves such as Theivery Corp, Richard Dorfmeister and the like. Check them out if interested, I intend to.

I nominate the remastered and rereleased double CD "Will the Circle Be Unbroken," featuring the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Mother Maybelle Carter, Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson, and many others. This super-session, now nearly 30 years old, is an absolute must for all of those who have latched onto bluegrass via Alison Krauss or the "O Brother, Where Art Thou" soundtrack. The songs are timeless, the performances remarkable, and the banter priceless. Best of all, the remaster is utterly unbelievable--this thing sounds as if it were recorded last night! "O Brother" is a fun record, but this is the real deal.
So it's been a few days, and I really hope this thread keeps a head of steam to it...

I have checked out a few of the suggestions above, and whereas none gave me those tingles everyone here is sure to know, I am always glad to check out new stuff.

To keep it goin, I am going to submit another artist to this thread (it IS Monday after all...new week right???)

Check out Jack Williams' "Eternity And Main". Jack is also a singer/songwriter, but from the South. This man has some SERIOUS soul, and his pickin is UNPARALELLED. You can also check out "Across The Winterline". His first release, "Dreams Of The Songdog" is also good, but a bit more 'commercial' sounding IMO.

You can listen to a few of Jack's cuts using Real Audio at:
http://www.folkera.com/windriver/jackwilliams/

Just interested if anyone checked out/enjoyed the Jay Webber suggestion...if not, there are other genre's I can suggest.

8^)
Z