Rachmaninov for beginners

Rachmaninov is a composer that I've tried to listen to on a few occasions but never been able to get into. I have this nagging feeling that I might not have started out with the right piece, but then again, it's also possible that his music is just not my cup of tea.

This morning while watching Sesame street with my daughter they featured a Chinese born pianist, whose name I think was something like Lang Lang or Ling Ling, and he played a beautiful piece of Rachmaninov music.

So now I'm thinking I should give it another try. I love piano music, and I prefer orchestral to chamber or solo (so think Piano concertos). I also like my classical music romantic .. Brahms, Schumann, some Beethoven, some Dvorak, some Mozart (Piano conc. no 20 in particular). I don't like overt displays of virtuosity ... the music comes first.

Are there Rachmaninov experts out there who could offer a suggestion for an introductory piece ?

Many thanks

Sean
seandtaylor99
I have four copies of Piano Concerto #2, and 2 of #3. I know Lang Lang has performed both of these pieces, so you could be referring to either one (perhaps Lang Lang has performed other Rachmaninov as well).

I'd say #2 is slightly more engaging and less challenging to listen to than #3, so you may want to give that a try. Of course, reasonable minds may differ on my assessment.

It's all available on SACD as well, should that be a desirable option for you.
You would also do well to try the Symphonic Dances (the marvelous Reference Recordings disc is a great choice, but there are several others that are worth getting). In addition, the Second Symphony is terrific - many great recordings of that work, including Previn (both Telarc and EMI), Termirkanov, Ormandy (RCA, but only in Japan now). One should not be without Horowitz in this music, especially the Third Concerto. The lousy sounding one with Barbirolli on APR is electrifying.
Would also add that Symphonies 1 and 3 with Janssons are excellent, and the new Hough complete piano concertos on Hyperion is superb, if you are looking for a complete set.
Seantaylor99,

It's funny you mention Mozart’s piano concerto 20. That's probably my favorite classical song of all time. I just connect with that peice more than any other. Even though Mozart had the talent to show off, he never did. He never seemed to add anything that wasn't necessary.

Anyway, I would give Rach's piano concerto #2 a try if you haven't already. I believe he goes a little overboard in virtuosity, but it is still musical. Just pick a time when you can listen to one movement and follow it all the way through, if you space out in the middle of the movement then forget it, it won't make any sense.

Hope this helps.

Rob
It's not orchestral or instrumental music, but my favorite Rachmaninov is his Vespers. It is beautiful and accessible. I own the version on Telarc but versions on other labels with Russian choruses have received outstanding reviews, too. If you ever have the chance to hear it live, I hope you take the opportunity.

Jim Crane