recommend a good computer and digital camera?

What do people here use for computers and digital cameras? I need to upgrade for surfing the audio sites and put up photos for my audio gear, of course.
I heard Gateway has quality problems and Dell nickel and dimes you on options. So I was looking at Hewlett-Packard. Is Compaq any good? Any other good brands?
I've been using the throwaway Kodaks on vacations and as much as I hate to get on the camera upgrade bandwagon, blurry photos with NO depth of field is getting too annoying.
For cameras, I've always liked Nikon. J&R sells the 4 mega pixel Coolpix 4300 for $399.99. It takes 8 good pic's or 293 low res pic's. 3x optical zoom sounds useful. Any thoughts on better brands?
Thanks.
And please, only nice people need respond. (sorry, I couldn't resist).
cdc
try slickdeals.net or xpbargins.com for better pricing Also pricescan.com

Happy Shopping
The Toshiba PDR-3300 digital camera (3.2 megapixel) that I got for my birthday has become indispensable. My Hasselblad camera is somewhere in the house, largely forgotten.

Our company purchased 15 Dells over a three year period. I have purchased a laptop and two desktops from them. In my experience, they were once merely satisfactory. Today, they are awful. Not only do they break your back by charging separately for essential items, their customer "service" is deplorable. Typically, the representative (after endless transfers and a terminal wait on hold) tries to find a way to deny support. This is the case even with the optional service plan I have purchased at an extra cost. Awful. Not recommended.

As an aside, I have nothing but great things to say about Canon. Great Multifunction machines, and superb support.

I am having a new computer made by a gentleman who lives near me. He will be around to help with the inevitable glitches. I bet an Agoner can recommend a similiar person if you disclose where you're located.
CDC,

I've been extremley pleased with a Sony 707, which you could pick up used on Ebay assuming you want to take the risk. I've sold my Leica equipment because of the results.

You may want to check out the digital camera site: http://www.dpreview.com/forums
Ive owned more than quite a few digital cameras, you really dont need huge megapixels to take good pictures, i have had good results using several of the olympus models including the very economical D-150 to the more expensive 4 megapixel
D40. One of the main reasons i like these is they use AA batteries and rechargeables work great! With proprietary battery cameras, when it does, you find the charger and an outlet, not always convenient. I now use a Sony DSC-P9 that is this way, great camera again however.
The reason i switched to the Sony dig camera however is both my laptop and my Sony MXS-10 as well as other models have on board memory stick bays instead of transfering data any other way, i have found this works great. I bought my mother a lesser model Sony PC that also has the memory stick slot. GREAT FEATURE.
If you look on Ebay you can get very good deals on new or refurb computers and cameras.

Hope this helps and good luck.
I own the Canon Powershot G5. This is my first digital camera. While it has 5 megapixels, which is real good, the comments I get from others is on thw quality of the color in the photographs.

I really don't have much to compare it to but those who have experience with digital cameras say that they love the pictures that mine takes.

One thing to look into is the HP Photosmart 7960 printer. It will take just about any flashcard from any digital camera and you can print/Email/download direct from the printer. this means that anybody visiting your home can download the pictures to your computer via your printer.

Also, the printer is built like a tank; unlike comparably priced Epson printers.

Oh, I use a Mac G5.