Reel to Reel uses -

My wife and I love to entertain.  It never ceases to surprise me how many will walk over to my stereo and stare at my Reel to Reel tape deck.  Some under the age of 35, will ask what it is? Others want to know why I have it, and what do I use it for?  Of course I answer their questions, but now it makes we wonder how others use their machines?  I have been following a couple of high end blogs that I really enjoy and see that one gentlemen uses his machine to play master tape copies.  I do this as well, but have no where near the selection that he does.  I make copies of my favorite LP's to play when guests are over, and also make my own master tapes using a couple of neuman's microphones.  I record small jazz trios and solo artists straight to the machine.  People are amazed at how 'real' these tapes sound.  My main reel to reel is a Pioneer RT-1050 high speed half track.  I have a second just like it that I use for the above mentioned site recordings.  I also have a ReVox B-77, a Sony TC-765, and a Crown 822, all half track machines.  Anyone out there making your own masters?

Norman
normansizemore
Norman, that's a great idea. My friend used to do the same for me, though with cassettes not reels.
inna,

I know.  We should all be doing it. I recently came across a collection of 10" 33 1/3 lps.  Miles, Evans, Talyor, etc… I haven't listened to all of them, but every song on them is currently out of print.  

We should begin making lists of rare recordings!  I also have a pretty large collection of classical, even though it's my least listened too genre.  
I purchased it about 10 years ago, and have only gotten through maybe a third of the Lp's.  

Most of my LP's are classic rock and jazz.  

I have a hard drive with something like 64,000 songs on it.  It is a copy of a hard drive from a classic  radio station.  It's great fun.  When I think I might want to buy a classic rock LP, but I'm not sure if l will like it, I can actually listen to it first via the hard drive.  =)  I make copies and give them away as gifts.  Great for when your having guests over and need music in the back ground for hours on end.  

I would happily make half track recordings of LP's to share.  We all should.

Norman

I have a Tascam 32 upstairs for high speed half track recordings of my LPs.  The 45 RPM vinyl recordings can have you up and down often to flip the record, so archiving them to tape makes sense.  The quality is outstanding, but it eats up some tape.  I have a Teac 3300SX, half track machine downstairs where there is no turntable.  I can play the tapes there and get close to the vinyl repro quality.  I agree with the comments from folks that have never been exposed to open reel decks.  I would like to do some live music recording, but have not done that yet.

Mike
Mike,

I used to have a 3300SX. Fantastic machine.  Mine was super smooth.  I would imagine that your recordings are as excellent reproductions of your vinyl collection.  I actually do the same as you with my favorite vinyl.

The TASCAM would be a little better for live recording, as it has a little more headroom than the TEAC.  I believe the heads are exactly the same however.

You should check here for some second generation master copies.  There is nothing quite like them.     http://avshowroomsforums.com/showthread.php?5-Companies-Currently-Producing-15ips-Reel-to-Reel-tapes...!

Norman
Revox B77 mk 2 with IEC board, just got it. Like others have Opus 3 tape on way..collecting bits needed to record live..have access thru church to some incredible talent..blessed. plan is Ayre A to D then direct to drives so i can compare analog tape at 15 IPS to digital A/ B with minimal changes to chain....