Review ATC SCM 40 A floorstanders.....finally

I thought I knew.  I thought I knew all about imaging, dynamics, resolution, PRaT, all the audiophile buzz words allowing one into the coded audiophile secret society pontifications.  I got schooled.  It’s called ACTIVE.  Everthing I’ve been yearning for has been solved with my new ATCs.  They just do musical reproduction with immediacy.  The attack is instantanious.  Bad recording, bad reproduction.  Great recording, great reproduction.  Period.  Fin.  Ende.

I’ve progressed through some fairly serious talent.  Great equipment I’ve enjoyed over the decades: always the journey, never having arrived at the ultimate destination.  I do not know why it took so long to depart the traditional souce, preamp, monoblocks, cabling and transducers formula.  I hope this encourages others to at least consider leaving the world of so many pieces and cabling.

System:  Naim UnitiServe with unknown serious external PSU, Nordost Valhalla II digital cable, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, Manley Neo Classic preamp with Takatsuki 300B tubes.  Decware ICs, Patrick Cullum Crossover II PCs, Furman IT Reference 15i power conditioner.  All components sit on Quadraspire Reference X stand.  Wireworld Silver Elipse 8 RCA to XLR interconnects from Manley 300B to ATCs.  Isoacoustics Gaia II footers.  I’m really there for now.  Tchau
celtic66
 @celtic66 Crap...... mystery power supply indeed.... I know Paul Haynes in UK does one for the u-serve but that would be marked... my inclination is the new core which has NAIM LPSU
... argh

i also have HRS Nimbus under the serve, but I believe you have excellent rack, doubt that would help

enjoy !!!
The volume issue is simply that they are voiced at realistic music levels. The equal loudness contours effectvmeans that relatively speaking ATCs sweetspot (where treble and bass are balanced) is a little higher than your typical smilie EQ speaker.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Sound/eqloud.html

Comparatively Harbeth, B&W and many others are voiced so that they have more bass and work better at lower volume. Of course, excessive bass will ruin the balance of sound at louder levels but most speakers aren’t capable of live loudness levels anyway. This is the pro aspect of the ATC design - the drivers play cleanly and without stress at relatively much louder/dynamic levels than other speakers.
What are considered the best ATC floorstanders, both overall and bang for the buck?   I am very much enjoying my passive SCM-11 v2.  
@peter_s   

The best overall floor stander or “tower” in the ATC line up is the SCM 150 Active or SCM 50 Active (depending on room size with the 50 suitable for smaller rooms).

The best bang for the buck would be ATC SCM 40 Active. The 50 and upwards use the “super” version of the mid range dome.

I've never listened to either the SCM 150 or 50, but am aware of their physical size.  I can physically move my ATC 40s upstairs and set them up.  Doubtful with the other two.  The price of pursuing perfection.....back problems.