Review: Marsh Sound Design A-400s Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

My musical tastes range widely and include contemporary jazz, folk, pop, blues, singer-songwriter and ambient music. I tend to look for warmth, dimension, and naturalness and had in the past favored tube equipment, including a really Audio Research D115mk2 100 wat tube amp. Alas, when I got my Totem Mani 2s- a replacement and upgrade from the Vandersteen II CEs- they were current-hungry and demanding. I demoed several solid state amps in the 150-200 watt range and found the Marsh not only to be the best sounding and most tube-like, but also one of the better absolute values. The McCormack DNA 225 was retailing for about $2800; the Belles 350A, which had the closest sound to the Marsh, was over $3000. I thought it was an incredibly good deal, almost too good to be true. 18 months later, and particularly since the price went up $500 since I bought it, I still think the Marsh is probably the best value in a solid state amp in the 200-watt range and the best sounding solid state amp below the next level occupied by Pass, Plinius and Rowland. The mid and highs are even and without grain or metal; it is able to power incredible strength on the bass, even through my unforgiving and greedy Mani 2's. I may, admittedly, upgrade to a Pass or Plinius, but I'll pay twice as much or more for a modest incremental improvement.

Jim

Associated gear
Resolution Audio CD-50, modified by Great Northern Sound; Totem Mani 2 speakers, MIT Cables and interconnects, Audio Research LS8 Preamp.

Similar products
Amplifiers by McCormack, Belles, Classe
jbardsley
This amp is indeed very nice and a great bargain except for one area. It needs a very good line conditioner to work properly. The difference is night and day. Try this unit with a Fisch (German). I have not heard another amp that responded so well to power conditioning. This is a downside to its power supply. I would pick the McCormack over this unit.
What Classe did you compare to the Marsh? I am considering Classe 200 or201 vs. Marsh A400.

Thanks...
Greetings ALL:
I'm considering the Marsh A-400 to replace my Rotel1080 and my only concern is the relatively brief warranty.

Does this reflect poorly on build quality or design?
Any feedback welcome.

TIA,
Charles
The Marsh is indeed a great sounding amp when it works. I bought mine from a fellow Audiogoner. I was delighted until the first breakdown.

Unfortunately, as I subsequently found not only is the amplifier subject to frequent breakdowns, but, worse, their customer service can be sumnmarized in one word: abominable.