Review: Raysonic 128 CDP CD Player

Category: Digital

My motivation for posting this is only because this is a new product on the market of which folks should be aware. It was recently reviewed by 6 moons if you're interested. I purchased it as a potential replacement for my CAL Alpha/Delta.

FWIW, I listen to Classical, Jazz, and pop vocal. No head banger stuff. Sonic preferences are for neutrality in all components - so long as they are 'tube based'. :-) While I can tolerate a bit of an uptilted bass so long as its undistorted, I can't tolerate exagerated high frequencies. I require transparency and smoothness. I can tolerate a bit of roll off so long as the signal is clean and clear.

I have had the Raysonic for about 3 weeks and it has just passed its breakin phase. Initially out of the box it was very rolled in the highs and full but dull in the bass. I'm still using the factory tubes (EH's). I did try different types and it is easy to change the units tone with different brands (whats new here!)

In comparison to my Wadia (direct to an amp) the Raysonic is as full but not as tight in the bass, as smooth in the mid range, and clearly not as extended in the highs. Compared to the Wadia thru a pre amp the gap closes quite a bit but the Wadia is still tighter and more extended.

In comparison to the BAT the bass is deeper and tighter but the mids and highs in the BAT are much more open and 'airy', perhaps a bit more transparent.

In comparison to the Cal units which it replaces it is sonically fuller in over-all tone, not as forward, and much smoother. I can't think of a single issue in which I prefer the Cal units, which have been long time favorites of mine in their price range.

And, in comparison to all three units, the Raysonic seems to have a greater dynamic range. I'm not talking speed, nor am I talking about absolute low or high frequency extension, I'm referring to the difference in the spread between the quietest and loudest sound.

I suspect this unit would have a high level of appeal not only to tubophiles, but to SS folks who want to avoid some of the more obnoxious effects of digital done wrong.

I'm keeping it!

Associated gear
Primaluna 3/5 pre-amp/amp
Tyler Linbrook Signature Systems Speakers

Similar products
Wadia 302
Bat DK5
CAL Alpha/Delta
newbee
I am now enjoying the Raysonic 128 too and have tried a number of tubes including Amperex and Mullard Holland made 6922s .
Nos Tesla worked well for me too but I am sticking with some German made Siemens PCC88s at the moment( Siemens E88CC are too expensive ). They sound the best to me ! My amp is a Unico SE hybrid and I find they work perfectly together. The tube rolling and listening over the last 3 or 4 months has been very enjoyable.
Keen to hear from others that have experimented.
Jackthecat, If you want to hear an excellent tube in this unit (and a lot of other units as well) try Bugle Boys (Amperex - Holland). You only need to use 2 of them. You put them in the inner or outer sockets, depending on whether you are using RCA's or XLR's. They have a beautiful mid range, to die for, warm but not syruppy, very good highs but not 'bright'. Bass seems natural. Not thick or boomy. Just a very natural sounding tube. Down side - they aren't cheap. FWIW, I'm into classic and jazz. I don't know how a PRAT enthusiast would view these tubes, but then I don't know why they would even be using a tube unit in the first place. :-)
the raysonic is excellent player, although i listen to jazz, traditional and fusion, i find that tubes entered anywhere in the system tends to change the lowend. being a lowend guy, i have owned tube systems, with ss players and thought they were very musical, but always lack the prsence of low end dynamics, not booooom , but tight bass. in saying that ...i have gone to a real good ss system with the tube raysonic and found it to be more compatable to for me. i still get the ss tight end bottom and changed the tubes and found that the seimens are the better overall for me and pricing. thanks for starting the review of the raysonic which help me to purchase one..they are a great player for the money, especially if you can find one on audiogon. but in saying for those that retail, its still a great buy and i like the black one best.