SACD finally taking-off? non-classical listeners

It looks like SACD might finally lift-off this fall with the Rolling Stones releases. The engineer claims the SACD revisions sound 40% better than the standard on these hybrids.(Ice Magazine)
Meanwhile, there are some interesting releases on DVD-A that are too interesting to forego; Fleetwood Mac "Rumours", and "Crowded House". Both redbook versions of these discs are non-listenable with good equipment.
What is the answer for a "2-Channel Person" who wants great sound without the "snap, crackle, and pop" of the LP?
Is there confidence that both of these formats will exist in two years?
Is the purchase of a dual SACD/DVD-A player foolish, or the only answer?

Please advise,
CB
cbucki
Albertporter, I don't know whether I'm delighted or dismayed. I value your judgement, as I appreciate your commitment. Your experience with quality digital reads as being more satisfying than I have experienced. But, the fact that it can't seem to work it's way into our lives is utterly frustrating. That you, having made serious comparisons heard and recognized that quailty digital can and does exist (despite it's dearth) is at the very least promising. Thank you for sharing and good listening.
Albert: A very revealing anecdote about the Walton tape. Many audiophiles want to blame the technology for the quality of the software we can buy. But too often it's the mastering work that gets in the way. I'd bet the human element would have done just as much damage in the analogue age, however.
Albert,

I agree with you on the mastering issue. I have some JVC "xrcd" 20 bit K2 cds that sound great. Why can't this software format be the standard for the mastering engineers to follow and make us 2-channel lovers happy?

My cd collection is about 2,500 and there are many cds that were on labels that are no longer in business. The possibilty of those Artist cds coming out from another label in the DVD-A or SACD format is nil.

What were they thinking??

Albert,

I agree with you on the mastering issue. I have some JVC "xrcd" 20 bit K2 cds that sound great. Why can't this software format be the standard for the mastering engineers to follow and make us 2-channel lovers happy?

My cd collection is about 2,500 and there are many cds that were on labels that are no longer in business. The possibilty of those Artist cds coming out from another label in the DVD-A or SACD format is nil.

What were they thinking??

Lngbruno: XRCD is not a "format," it's just a marketing term for a very good mastering process involving a little bit of technology and a lot of care. Given that there are few audiophiles out there, it would never pay the majors to spend the extra time/money to do better mastering. So you'll just have to enjoy XRCDs when you can find them.

As for your other concern, even if a label has gone under, somebody owns that music. Rest assured, if they decide there's a market for it on a new format, they'll bring it out. (But don't expect SACD or DVD-A to solve the mastering problem.)