Schroeder model 2 or Morch DP6?

Has anyone out there listened to both of these tonearms? Or even better, have you listened to them in the same system? Dougdeacon, if you are out there, I am betting you have heard them both in your "shootout". I am interested in the sonic differences in the 2 arms. I know the Schroeder 2 sells for about $2200-$2300 new, but how much does the DP6 sell for new?
slowhand
Hi Larry, all ...

Firstly, to those who don't know me, please take my comments with a grain of salt. As a Schröder dealer, I might be just a wee bit biased. Any comparson between the Schröder Model-2 and a Moerch DP-6 would be based on my 2 year old memory of the DP-6 - the last time I had one in my system.

This weekend I got to play with a DP-6.

I was recruited by a local customer to play cartridge mechanic - swapping a ZYX Airy-3 and a Benz LP into his Galibier / DP-6 rig. The DP-6 had a 9" red-dot standard arm wand (6 gm effective mass, non-precision headshell).

For the ZYX, we added 5.1 grams to the headshell (a nickel affixed with Blu-tack). In retrospect, we should have increased the mass of the red-dot for the Benz too, since the red-dot wand has an effective mass of only 6 grams.

I noticed one change in the current generation of DP-6 tonearms. The new DP-6 appears to be wired with sliver. Since I was listening in an unfamiliar system, I hesitate to speculate about significance of this change, but my guess is that the wire has effected an improvement. Treat this as speculation and nothing more.

The wiring change may tip the sonic balance in favor of the Moerch (over my $400 Micro Seiki MA-505 Mk III). It's difficult to say. Previously, I considered the two arms to be too close to call.

One thing may have been lost in my previous comments. The Moerch DP-6 is a very natural sounding tonearm. In this respect, it finds itself in very select company - alongside the Triplanar and Micro Seiki tonearms. As natural sounding as any Schröder? Not on your life, but nothing I've heard to date is as natural sounding.

Having said that, these arms (Triplanar, Moerch, Micro Seiki) have their own virtues and one could easily prefer them to a Schröder. Raul can comment further on other arms, like the vintage SME's and the great Japanese tonearms, and I'd take what he has to say very seriously.

Some gripes I have about the Moerch include but are not limited to the anti-skate adjustment.

Azimuth adjustment in the arm is a great feature, but why Moerch didn't drill an access hole into the top of the arm wand disk for easier azimuth adjustment is beyond me. I suspect that very few Moerch owners even play with the azimuth adjustment due to how inconvenient it is to access the Allen screw. This is a pity.

I also wish that Moerch made all of the arm wands with the precision headshell and eliminated the standard headshell versions..

Realize that no product is perfect. I'm certain that there are an equal number of individuals who take issue with the ergonomics of the Schröder Model-2 for example.

Gripes and all, you can do a lot worse than owning a DP-6.

One exercise I'd like to carry out in the next few months is to put it up against the Hadcocks. This will be a very, very interesting exercise !

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Thom,

Nice report and summary. I think you're safe as long as you don't mention the Bxsxs Vxctxr! ;-)

... why Moerch didn't drill an access hole into the top of the arm wand disk for easier azimuth adjustment is beyond me.
Perhaps to provide the damping fluid chamber a sealed, stable environment and prevent dust contamination? Just speculating.

Of course they could drill an azimuth access hole and seal it with a threaded plug. Best of both worlds!
Doug, thank you for your kind invite! When the time come I will e-mail you!!!! :))
Please do, but wait at least a week. Our TT is down for a bearing upgrade. At the moment we're listening to CD's and watching movies. :-(