Shelter and Triplanar matching ?

HELLO

I have problems to match a shelter 901 with a tri planar VII.

Lot of records ( above all piano LP ) are playing tremulous and I can see the tonearm CLEARLY SHAKING on the record while playing it as if it could be a problem of resonance between the cartridge and the tonearm .

I have seen here and there that the Shelter was a LOW COMPLIANCE cartridge (I don't know the exact value).Its weight is 9,5 g.

I have choosed the maxi VTF : 2 g.

I am afraid that the TP is too light for the shelter.Its effective mass is 11 g,
Is it enough for the Shelter 901 ?

I am surprised because the Shelter 901 / Tri Planar seemed to be a combination used buy some audiophiles...without modification .

Could someone give me some help...

Thank you

Tenmus
tenmus
Doug,could you enlighten me,as to the differences between the ZYX Univ "silver vs copper",as this is of interest to me?Thanks,in advance.
SirSpeedy,

I've had three UNIverses in my system: copper, silver and gold coils. (Gold is by special order, Mehran doesn't stock them.) The price is the same for all three IIRC.

The sonic differences were precisely the opposite of what I expected, precisely the opposite of what electrical conductivity would lead anyone to expect.

COPPER
Most neutral, least colored, comes closest to achieving live microdynamics, reproduces natural waveforms the best. Probably the most Colibri-like of the three UNIverses (remembering Mikelavigne's comparison). Easily my favorite and Paul's. Requires the most careful attention to VTF and especially VTA/SRA. No gain without the pain.

SILVER
Slightly warmed/smoothed, almost Koetsu-ish, which means we didn't like it at all. Mehran sells about as many of these as copper and many people love it. Just not our cup of tea, we do not tolerate rolled off transients. Cello and Vetterone also prefer the copper, but if this is the kind of thing you like, you'd like it!

GOLD
Very warmed/smoothed, more Koetsu-ish than a Koetsu. Personally it made me puke, but gold resists harsh chemical conditions well so it survived the short visit and the trip back to Mehran! Grado fans might enjoy it, or someone with a terribly edgy system that needed taming. We prefer accuracy at the source and fine tuning later if need be, but YMMV as always.

It took me forever to puzzle out why superior conductors created inferior results, but it's obvious if you forget electricity and consider the whole picture. Silver is denser than copper and gold is denser still. Extra mass on the cantilever means reduced transient speed and rolled off waveforms. It's like Twl's HIFI mod, mis-applied. Greater inertia on the tonearm increases stability, greater inertia on the cantilever impairs stylus freedom.

For me, this A/B/C comparison settled any argument about HO vs. LO MC's. Here were three identical MC cartridges, all of them highly resolving, the only difference being the coil material. The lowest mass coils produced notably more accurate results even though they were inferior from an electrical standpoint. End of argument. If the stylus can't trace the groove right it doesn't matter how well the electrons flow.

Doug,thanks for the interesting comparison.

"More Koetsu-ish than a Koetsu.It made me puke"-

Now I have to admit that it's a dead heat,in terms of "great post quotes",between Raul's "swimming in a tuxedo"(I really laughed at that one)and now this,which is funny,yet the puking part doesn't tickle me,as much-:).STILL,it's a tied ball game,between the two of you!!

Best!
Dear Doug: Maybe I miss something.

+++++ " For me, this A/B/C comparison settled any argument about HO vs. LO MC's. " +++++

What do you mean with that statement? in reference to what?. Please explain about.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul,

I'm not saying any HOMC will be worse than any LOMC. That would be silly, comparing apples and oranges. But given the same manufacturer and model, the HO version will tend to be less accurate and less dynamic than the LO version. That's all.

Now if I could just learn to puke while swimming in a tuxedo...