Shelter and Triplanar matching ?

HELLO

I have problems to match a shelter 901 with a tri planar VII.

Lot of records ( above all piano LP ) are playing tremulous and I can see the tonearm CLEARLY SHAKING on the record while playing it as if it could be a problem of resonance between the cartridge and the tonearm .

I have seen here and there that the Shelter was a LOW COMPLIANCE cartridge (I don't know the exact value).Its weight is 9,5 g.

I have choosed the maxi VTF : 2 g.

I am afraid that the TP is too light for the shelter.Its effective mass is 11 g,
Is it enough for the Shelter 901 ?

I am surprised because the Shelter 901 / Tri Planar seemed to be a combination used buy some audiophiles...without modification .

Could someone give me some help...

Thank you

Tenmus
tenmus
it should be still worse if Doug had puked in Raul's ferrari while scaling the Everest..
Doug: "Extra mass on the cantilever means reduced transient speed and rolled off waveforms."

That seems like a reasonable explanation. I see where the ZYX Web site cites both silver and copper with the same coil wire diameter (.035mm) and same weight (5.0gm).

If both cartridges weigh the same and have the same wire diameter, maybe its not extra mass on the silver's cantilever that accounts for the sonic differences. Maybe its fewer windings of the heavier metal. (??)

Could a different number of windings between silver and copper yield different signals?

I see where the ZYX Web site cites both silver and copper with the same coil wire diameter (.035mm) and same weight (5.0gm)

If both cartridges weigh the same and have the same wire diameter, maybe its not extra mass on the silver's cantilever that accounts for the sonic differences.
You're reading too much into that 5.0g weight specification.

First, it's only nominal. I've weighed six ZYX's to the closest 0.01g and they were all different. The variations were larger than could be accounted for by any differences between the coils.

Second, a specification to the nearest .1g is too imprecise to capture any coil variations. You'd have to go out several more decimal places to measure that.

Third, even if you did that, variations in other components would swamp coil variations.

The coils are so tiny compared to the rest of the cartridge that the only way to know anything useful about their mass/weight would be to measure or calculate it directly. Coil weight cannot be deduced from overall cartridge weight, no matter how accurately that is measured.

Maybe its fewer windings of the heavier metal. (??) ).

Could a different number of windings between silver and copper yield different signals?
Given identical magnets, more windings = higher output. Since the output of each cartridge is the same, the number of windings should be the same.

Good questions, but I think my hypothesis is still valid.
I had a conversation,two weeks ago,with a major arm mfgr.He claimed that the best conductor was silver,and that "anything using gold" was inferior.He stated that gold was only useful for keeping oxidation at bey!We were talking arm cabling,here,but there must be some parallels.As for copper,I don't know.To me,from my personal experience,whatever sounds good in a given set-up,is "best".Whatever the make-up!

Also,about a year ago AJ Van denHul was interviewed,in Hi-Fi Plus magazine.He had his own take on the gold/silver/copper issue.Quite interesting stuff,actually.Worth seeking out.

BTW-DOUG,how come you can get away with a Koetsu "knock",and last fall,I almost had my balls cut off for alluding to an antiskate issue?I'm sure there are alot more Koetsu lovers out there.So my advice to all Koetsu fans is---"Let's get Doug"!!I want to see no less than a dozen posts!!! -:)

Hmm!It must be nice to be one of the "chosen few"!! -:)