Shelter and Triplanar matching ?

HELLO

I have problems to match a shelter 901 with a tri planar VII.

Lot of records ( above all piano LP ) are playing tremulous and I can see the tonearm CLEARLY SHAKING on the record while playing it as if it could be a problem of resonance between the cartridge and the tonearm .

I have seen here and there that the Shelter was a LOW COMPLIANCE cartridge (I don't know the exact value).Its weight is 9,5 g.

I have choosed the maxi VTF : 2 g.

I am afraid that the TP is too light for the shelter.Its effective mass is 11 g,
Is it enough for the Shelter 901 ?

I am surprised because the Shelter 901 / Tri Planar seemed to be a combination used buy some audiophiles...without modification .

Could someone give me some help...

Thank you

Tenmus
tenmus
Kftool,

The normal setup for a TriPlanar has the chamfer pointing toward the arm bearings, not away.

Assuming proper setup, there is no reason for a TP/Shelter to "shake badly", on any record. If the problem is as bad as you describe, changing counterweights and counterweight positions is not the solution. The effects of those adjustments are fairly subtle.

Tenmus' problem was only resolved with a replacement arm. I'd suggest contacting your dealer or Tri Mai. If I had to guess, I'd guess the bearings might be misadjusted. But that is not a user adjustment.
Dougdeacon,

Thank you for the reply, it never occurred to me that there may be a problem with a new arm, but everyone makes mistakes.

The Sota Mellennium table I'm using was a display unit I purchased at the 2005 CES and was set up with a Tri Plainer VII arm . When I later decided to also purchase a Tri Plainer VII, Sota sent the armboard drilled for , and used at the CES show. When I mounted the arm, I automatically figured the board to be drellid properly. After I posted the shaking problem on Audiogon, I thought I'd check the pivot to tt center dimension. The armboard was drilled to 235.5 mm rather than 233 mm as is specified by Tri Plainer. Upon calling Sota I was told to return the armboard so they could check the hole positions and replace the armboard if necessary. I'll have it back in about a week and check the arm again.

Another thread suggested I increase the mass of the arm by sliding the chamferred weight all the way forward, and then use the lightest counterweight to balance the cartridge out to the desired tracking force. I will perform both steps and if the problem persists, I will return it for a bearing check, as you suggested. regards Ken
Ken,

Sota has had compatibility issues with the TriPlanar on some lower model tables with wood plinths and recessed armboards, but there should be no issues on a Millenium, other than the goof you already discovered of course. Geoff Husband of TNT-Audio used a Millenium for his review of the TriPlanar without any problems.

A spindle-to-pivot dimension of 235.5mm would put a Shelter at the very end of the slots, assuming you could align it at all. Perhaps that made things unstable enough to cause your vibration. Let's hope a properly drilled armboard will resolve the issue.

Best of luck,
Doug
The .5 error could be attributed to using a different arm than the one the armboard was drilled for. It seems that Tri does not use any fixture when tightening down the mount. This does lead to vaariations from arm to arm. This is why Thom Mackris had me send him my Triplanar so that he could drill the Galibier armboard properly for the arm that will be used. I'm sure this is something Thom has learned from experience.

Best of luck!

Dan