Should I eliminate my preamp?

I have been using my Audio Research tube preamp and Bryston amp to drive Magnepan speakers for years. Recently I added a Oppo blue ray player to my system and connected directly to my amp using the balance cables. The reason was to eliminate the signal having to go through another piece of equipment before it hits the amp. Am I wrong or what am I missing?
elf1
Looking at your very nice system
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/2186

Your D100 dac is no problem at 2v and 100ohms into the Lightspeed. And that at 2.5kohms using the 1mt of VH First at  61pF/mt is -3db at 1mhz!!. And your Belles Ref 150A needs only 1.4v in for full output at 100kohm input impedance which is no problem.

Looking at all this you have a prefect match up I can't see how there can be a difference between 1m or 1/2m of the VH First???

Cheers George
It really depends on how well the line out is on a unit. My Esoteric K-01 using the line out function is superb. It really shows how good the K01 is. But I need the preamp to power my sub which I cannot do without it. So a preamp gives you lots of flexibility, if I did not need that I could leave with the K-01 directly to my amp. In fact if I had full range speakers I would not need the sub and I would use the line out of the K-01. It's world  class. 
Your SP6 is not a very good preamp. My advice is to get a good more current preamp, something from at least the mid ninties as preamp quality took a giant leap at that time. As a general rule using a preamp is better than eliminating it even though this seems counterintuitive. If using a cheap preamp, eliminating one could produce better sound in some aspects but a good preamp will almost always be the route to better sound rather than eliminating one or for that matter using a passive one.
Since I've gone from tube integrated, to direct-from-DAC to tube amp, to solid state linestage, to classis ARC tube pre-amp, to newer ARC tube linestage, I've decided that....it depends. I have some speculations and experiences but few technical chops.

I do think a lot of linestages are tone controls that shape the sound, which is fine.  In that vain, I think Mark Levinson had it right with the Cello Palette, which allowed the listener to shape for speakers, room, and personal preference.  Someone should make a great modern version of this where you can store a few profiles.  Sometimes you need more cowbell, and sometimes you need Big Bottom.

But I'm still haunted by how alive the tricked out SP3a sounds and plan to give it another go.  Once you hear it, others seem veiled and more "recorded."  Less involving. I also think tube pre's can add pleasing even harmonics that is just nice to listen to.

It also seems that some tubed units create faster swings from soft-to-loud and a sound stops faster, producing more nuanced, lifelike vocals.  My hunch is that this relates to very good power supplies and associated circuits.

I'm still not satisfied, and may try Backert or Sachs, since I want those lifelike vocals without softening the bass.