Solid State to Tubes and Back Again

I've been reading a number of posts where individuals have gone from solid state to tubes, and back to solid state again. I'm curious about some of the reasons why.

Could it be a cost (tube replacement) and maintenance issue?

Could it be convenience (change of space - living arrangements), or is it simply because of the preference for solid state over the tube sound?

Thanks in advance for sharing.
hawk28
Blonds, brunettes and redheads...

I think that it all really depends upon the speakers. The valve is intrinsically a better device with other issues, but transistors have come a long way. In one system I run tubes because it is relatively efficient. On the other I run SS because I cannot afford to run 500w tube amp.
Inna: That's an interesting point. Some cheaper tube gear probably isn't worth it if its unreliable or doesn't sound as good at its more expensive bretheren.

Markwatkiss: That is the sometimes frustrating obession of this hobby. But its fun, isnt' it?

Glory: Having both on hand isn't financially feasible at this time. But to be honest, once I find a combination that I could live with for years, the unused piece would only get boxed up and put in the closet.

4est: Your thougths are exactly why I'm looking for the SS/tube combo. A tube pre to bring the delicacy and finesse, and solid state power to bring the force and grunt in an efficient, maintendance free and cost effective manner. I could be wrong, but I believe I can attain the best that both have worlds have to offer.

But we will see. It may turn out that an all SS system may be just fine for me.
Hi Hawk28 - I think all the reasons given and more are why people swap. Some people have money to burn and just change for sake of changing. Some people are never happy, some people have to keep up with the Audiophile Jones's, others want to experiment, others get tired of tubes/tube rolling and escalating costs.
For me, I would love to have a tube Amp ( I have a tubequicksilver pre)but my system is located in our family room addition - where the temp (I live in Florida)is 3 degrees warmer in the summer then the rest of the house due to the construction of the addition. So putting in a space heater in that heat is not feasible.
As a note - I do not think yo need to spend high $$ for a quality reliable Tube Amp. Quicksilver, Rogue, and Cary AES six packs on the used market can be purchsed for less then 2K. Even new Quicksilver, Rogue and AES are good values.
I made the switch only once in 1977 when ss finally camos of age. For the 20 prior years it was tubes warts and all and I has just about had it and ready to ditch the hobby alltogehther when the Mark Levinson and Threshold gear came out.

In a month I had ditched all the tube gear and have remained in ss ever since. Now at 67 with my hearing not nearly as good as it once was, no way in hell going with newer tube gear. There are two different camps on ss and tube and neither will ever find common ground. Both have their plus and minus in owning them. Now with Spectral gear and that is most likely my bucket list system.

For those that like to tinker and tweak tubes may be the way to go, for rock solid reliability, high end solid state is the answer, at least for me it was and remains my answer.

But I tell ya my 20 years in tubes is not a time I ever wish to revisit.