Some noise issues with my new VPI Prime

Hi everyone,

Was fortunate enough to purchase a dealer demo VPI Prime.  Have been enjoying it for the last week or so - it's a wonderful sounding table.  However, I am having a couple of noise issues with it.  It's still under warranty, but I was hoping to find a home cure if possible.   There are two issues:

1)  Motor noise.  This is from the mechanical operation of the motor - it doesn't change with volume of the system, but it's audible during quiet passages.  The motor makes a slight buzzing/rubbing noise with each rotation.  I am guessing that some lubrication is all that is needed.  I've tried setting the motor on a rubber pad, but that doesn't make any difference. 

2)  Buzzing from the tonearm wire.  I get a buzzing that increases with the volume. By 50% on the volume dial it is quite pronounced (you can hear it from the next room).  It is coming from the wire that runs from the tonearm to the Lemo connector on the junction box.  If I touch the wire, the buzzing changes as I move the wire around.  If I raise the tonearm very slightly off the unipivot spike, the noise becomes extremely loud.   I tried to wrap some tinfoil around it, but that didn't make any difference.  Could this be a defect?  

Any thoughts on some simple fixes that might address these issues?

Thanks,
Scott
smrex13
What quality issues? I have 2 VPI TT's and they've been running perfectly for years. Its always possible that problems may lie elsewhere, like poor setup or improper phono cart/pre compatability.
The wire noise could be a ground issue. Make sure you have a suitable ground wire attached cleanly on both ends, from the posts on the cartridge all the way to the pre amp chassis. If that doesn't solve the problem yes please contact your salesman. For that kind of money you should have nothing but joy! 
Thanks everyone for the input. As an update, I let the motor run overnight for a couple of evenings.  It has quieted a bit, so some break in may be involved.  It's still can be heard at a very low level from my listening position (and sometimes it seems louder than others) when nothing is playing, but it's not intrusive.  

So, the main issue is trying to control the buzz that seems to be related to the tonearm wire.  For those who asked about the set-up...I'm using the same cartridge and loading that I was using with the VPI Traveler that I had before (Clearaudio Maestro 2, Silnote phono cable, Manley Chinook Phono Stage (MM setting, 47K, 0pF).  Grounding wire is attached from the junction box on the Prime to the grounding post not the Chinook.  At moderate listening levels the hum is not a problem, but when I want to crank it a bit it does begin to intrude.  I had planned to try some other phono cables, so I'll see how much difference that makes.

Thanks, Scott
try to run wire directly from arm tube to ground pin of preamp and see if buzz goes away. if it does, than problem definitely in manufacturing.
If the grounding solution doesn't fix the problem, lower the gain from 60db to 45db (if you haven't already done so). Also, have you made any other changes to your system like speakers, cables, etc...? Its hard to troubleshoot without knowing the entire system.