Some of the Worst Offenders in Bad Audio Forum Behavior Are Not Regular Forum Members

I've noticed first hand a disturbing trend over at Stereophile for the past couple of years that whenever someone knowledgeable challenges the mantra put forth by some of their editors, the Chief Editor, Mr. Atkinson, demands that the poster put forth personal information about themselves and any possible affiliations they may have with regard to employment that Mr. Atkinson might consider some kind of conflict of interest. Most notably, this occurred recently with a user named Archimago - a popular member of Computer Audiophile who extensively examined MQA, it's claims, and the claims made for it by Stereophile staff. Mr. Atkinson repeatedly challenged the author for his identity and professional affiliations - without which, he would disregard the message conveyed by said forum member. Mr. Atkinson has gone even further in other instances of which I personally witnessed first hand. He insists on banning from Stereophile's forum anyone whom he believes has a duty to publicly identify themselves without specifying the criteria behind the demand - other than that an industry affiliation might exist. I would encourage readers here to visit Computer Audiophile and search for Archimago /MQA discussions to see what I'm on about first hand.

The point of raising this is not necessarily to drag Mr. Atkinson through the mud but to highlight a key aspect of hypocrisy with respect to Mr. Atkinson's "policy" and how that relates to ALL online forums. Time and again, we're reminded in various forums when ideas are presented and challenged in a heated atmosphere - "FOCUS ON THE SUBJECT MATTER - NOT THE CREDENTIALS OR PERCEIVED FAILINGS OF THE INDIVIDUAL MAKING HIS OR HER POINT". This in my view has always been good advice. When we "play the ball" and not  "the man", it is much easier to maintain a civil exchange of ideas/experiences.  So where does Mr. Atkinson's insistence on identifying qualifications of the person fit in to this concept? It seems that every time he or a staff member is personally challenged for facts, he resorts to this "policy" as a form of censorship.  So basically what I"m saying here is that there's plenty of evidence that in some circles, the very people who should be encouraging us all to focus on the merits of the message - letting it stand or fall on its own without involving the supposed "credentials" of the messenger, - these people are in fact the worst offenders among us. Instead of setting a good example and sticking to it, they are doing the opposite while on occasion imploring the rest of us "regular members" to "do as I say - not as I do". I no longer participate in Stereophile forums because of this obvious cute form of censorship that has been employed. I hope that kind of thing never happens here on Audiogon. My guess, however, is that since Agon moderators aren't in the business of promoting/reviewing certain products that come along, that issue is not likely to present itself.
In any case, how do you feel about the privacy rights of other forum members? Should everyone be required to put forth their real name and potential industry affiliation or should that only apply to people who appear to be trying to sell something other than knowledge in the course of posting?
cj1965
@viridian 

@bdp24

On the subject of facts and "revisionist history".....
If memory serves correctly, Julian Hirsch was doing plenty of measurements at Audio magazine way back in the 1970s and 1980's prior to the appearance of everyone's favorite equipment testing hero MR. John Atkinson.
The issue that shouldn't get lost in the "who started doing measurements first war" is when Stereophile started doing reviews of equipment that possessed no lab testing results or measurements whatsoever. I firmly believe that if it were not for such fluff "reviews", the "power conditioner", exotic cable, and  "vinyl comeback" industries as we know them today - would not even exist. To my knowledge, none of the current crop of industry trade representatives masquerading as consumer audio product reviewers have had the audacity to create a new category of review for magic resistors, magic capacitors, isolator feet, wire suspenders, acoustic energy "grounding rods" and similar such "tweaks". With the current trajectory, however, it would not surprise me if a new "tweak corner" should appear in Stereophile pages.
What is truly humorous to watch though, are the videos of Michael Fremer swearing at cheap nostalgia turntables at CES. Not sure if Youtube took them down for blatant, gratuitous vulgarity but it was very funny watching this delusional character bemoan the fact that cheap nostalgia kitch turntables outnumbered his prized $50,000 offerings by at least 20:1 - as if the "vinyl comeback" was truly anything other than nostalgia. (Clearly the subject of other threads....)
Post removed 
I agree with you, cj1965. But, I think you have to realize that "Stereophile" is a business. A business that derives the bulk of its income from ads placed by high-end manufacturers. (That $12 a year subscription might barely cover the cost of mailing?)

Yes, traditional consumer audio is shrinking, but, that's been happening since the '80s as evidenced by the shuttering of all three of the mass-market audio magazines. That was years before the Worldwide Web debuted in 1993, so, home computers are not the sole cause. What really did audio 'in' was these inexpensive, great-sounding compact mini-rack/all-in-one systems that the big consumer giants introduced in the '80s. They thought teenagers would buy these and then upgrade to full-sized components as they got older. It didn't happen. When these things broke, they went out and bought another one for $300.

What also changed was leisure time: Americans now work more hours than they have since the end of WWII, so, the home stereo wasn't used as much as before. That's really why portable electronics, like mp3 players and smart phones became insanely popular.

At the same time, all the department stores closed their consumer electronics and recorded music sections, due to eroding margins.

So, that's mainly why affordable hi-fi has largely disappeared.
@geoffkait
DIY Audio sounds like a lovely, open minded place to hang out. 🌹 🌷 🌺 Or get hung out, as the case may be.
It’s the most closed minded place I’ve ever had the displeasure of being a member of. I like DIYAudio and there are some terrific people there - but don’t ever go there to and try to look at something new.

One those things that happens when people have just enough knowledge and lore to not see the walls of the box their thinking is in. Where they somehow imagine that their limits are the same as everyone else’s and encompasses  all things..and then they go full rabid textbook/biblical/ballistic --toward anything that is even remotely ’not yet fully understood.’

There are people there that do look at all the odd stuff that is not yet understood and do apply it to the gear they build, but they literally have to pussyfoot around the place and never mention it directly. If they do mention it directly, the literal minded cement heads evoke the textbook answers and start attacking mercilessly.

Since the cement heads outnumber the inquisitive and forward thinking, and that the cement heads bite and tear with no relenting or thoughts..the forum moderators have to side with the cement heads and the forward thinkers are the ones who are censured. So dense they routinely kill the dreamer without a shred of thought that they kill the very thing that makes humanity go forward, onward and upward.

Linear. Dense. Negative. Violent. Projecting. Not a clue.

Sound familiar?

For good reason, my tag line at DIYAudio, used to be:

"Only Dead Fish Swim With The Stream" -Malcolm Muggeridge