Sony SACD Monsters: Already Obsolete?

I am wondering if their massive SACD-1 and 333 players will be discontinued or reduced now that you can buy the well reviewed DVD/SACD combo for only $1500. Does anyone have any experience with either of these machines? I am willing to pay a bit of a premium for build quality, durability etc but could they really sound that much better? Are there any bargains out there yet?
cwlondon
You guys, knock it off. Soon you will find the scd-1 and 777es prives go up and my tax return is coming any day now. At least can you hold on for couple of weeks? Seriously, with rave reviews on this post, stereophile A+ rating and all, even my stubborn attitude to not upgrade is being swayed!
The SCD-1 and 777 were expensive players to build and have outstanding sonics. I bet Sony lost money on each sold.

I suspect the second generation will be like when Sony came out with the DVP-7700 to replace the DVP-7000 DVD player. The 7700 added a couple significant features (like DTS output), but the 7700 was obvioulsly cheaper to build and many concluded was not as good sounding. I hope Sony won't repeat this. BTW, Sony's third generation flagship DVD player, the S9000ES, kills the 7000 and has more features that the 7700. I do not know if it's cheaper to build than the 7000, but has a higher list price.

The second SACD generation will be cheaper to build, cheaper to buy, multichannel, and include bass management. I lood forward to the second generation. I just hope the C555ES scheduled out in April is as good as the 555ES that already has been released in Europe. It's getting rave reviews. I hope the 777 replacement scheduled to be out this summer, equals or surpasses the sonics of the current 777.

The SCD-1 has not officially be discontinued and they're still available for purchase. Several mail order firms sell them under $3K. I've not heard about a SCD-1 replacement.