Speakers below 800

I am trying to set up a home theater (music & movies). Can I get a decent pair of speakers for less than $800 that would satisfy my requirements. I would really appreciate any suggestions on this regard.

I live in the Washington DC area and I do not see many stores that specialize in the home theater equipment. It would be of great help if I can get any suggestions on where to look for these speakers.
rkolluri
If you are willing to buy used speakers listed here on Audiogon, you should be able to get a pretty decent pair of speakers for $800. You didn't say whether you want monitors or floor-standers, or what other equipment you currently own, and that additional info would be helpful in offering suggestions to you.

For starters, however, I suggest you put a used pair of Vandersteen 2Ce's on your short list. They are an excellent, full-range speaker that does a fine job with both music and home theater. Vandy 2Ce's are often available here on Audiogon, and you can also post a "Want to Buy" ad for them. The other option to buying new is to contact Vandersteen dealers for demos or used models that they've taken in trade. I've had good luck with used Vandy speakers thru Audio Connections in New Jersey -- if you contact them, talk to John Rutan.

If you'll provide some additional info about your system and listening room, I'm sure you can get some ideas from other Audiogon regulars.
A used pair of Hales Revelation Twos go for around $800. The only caveat is that Hales is out of business. Another option is B&W's 600 series speakers. Not as refined as Hales, but they are very good for movies as well as music, and B&W is definately still in business. There are plenty of speakers being sold here on audiogon. Is Philadelphia too far? Maybe that city has a few decent stores. Good luck.
The PSB Image series speaker are worth a listen. PSB also has good distribution so they may be available for audition.
I just listened to paradigm speakers for 775 retail. They were excellent. Great imaging and totally disappeared. I forgot the model but if you check Paradigm it's probably the only speaker in the price range that I am suggesting. Bang for the buck!