Speakers to hang on to for LIFE

After 9 years with my Proac Response 3s, I recently decided to change speakers. As you can tell, I'm not an upgrade fever patient. I want something I can live with for years & I think the best advice I'm gonna get will be from those who have & are still living with their speakers for an extended period of time. Please tell me why too. Thanks.Bob.
ryllau
I just don't believe I'll ever hang on to a piece for life. Currently I own and love the Merlin VSM-MX, and I feel totally happy with them, but, I had the same feeling with my JBL L19, Polk 10, Energy 22s, Proac 2.5s, my Alon (now Nola) Louts SEs, my Vandersteen 3A Signatures. When I bought each of these I had a honeymoon period where I was totally satisified, felt lucky, and thought I would never need another pair of speakers (amps, turntables, etc.). I remember saying so each time (to a significant other), and meaning it. If you want to hang unto a piece for a long time, I think you have to stop reading the magazines, the e-zines, and stay away from Audiogon. That being said, I think I'll hang onto my Merlins for ....