Stand out phono stages

This topic has been started before by others and myself as well, maybe too many times, but it is worth revisiting since the source is so very important!
So far I have had the pleasure to enjoy two worthy phono stages: the EAR 834p and the JLTI.
I have to admit they are spectacular. Obviously the record and all the equipment downstream play a role in the sound heard. In some cases I prefer the JLTI and in other cases the EAR. But neither out do the other dramatically.
What phono preamps outshine others by a big margin, those that can be considered the last phono preamp ever needed.
pedrillo
I really like the sound and convenience of my PS Audio GCPH. My prior reference was a McCormack Phono Drive. Otherwise I have used various phono inputs on preamps, Cambridge p640, parasound ph100, nad and project phono preamps and Bellari VP530.
hi Soundlistening,

thk you for yr detailed reply. i currently use a Lyra Connoisseur 4-2P SE. fantastic phono stage but only has 1 input, & therefore rather troublesome to switch cables every time i switch tonearms.

it's interesting that you mentioned "pressing eras". i'm trying a little experiment whereby a diff cartridge/tonearm is set up & optimized for a diff pressing era. it would seem logical (perhaps borderline obsessive?) to extend this reasoning thru to the phono stage, & hence my interest in a 2nd phono stage.

this 2nd phono stage will primarily be used with my "late mono" (SME 3012/R + Ortofon Mono SPU CG25 DI mk.2) & "early stereo" (F.Research FR-66s + FR-7f) setups, & any experience/feedback you might hv with either of these combinations paired with Kondo M7 Phono, Lamm LP2, &/or Zanden 1200 would be of great interest to me.

btw, i do own a Kondo Ongaku & a wide range of NOS tubes (incl. GE 5 star w/triple mica, & Tungsol 5687 input tubes you've mentioned). all tubes sound different, but i generally agree Kondo's stock input tubes are pretty good (NOS rectifier & output tubes can however bring significant improvements across the board - at least in the context of Ongaku & Gakuon). but i think this is digressing fm the phono stage discussion...
1 1flat6,

I have only briefly heard the Lyra phonostage and I thought it was terrific--VERY dynamic and lively, and at the same time, harmonically dense and rich (something that is almost never achieved, particularly with solid state). It is too bad that RoHS regulations have made it impossible for Lyra Connoisseur to get the parts to continue to manufacture that item.

Perhaps your second phonostage should be something that offers differing equalization options, like the Zanden, since you are exploring ways to listen to a range of vintage pressings. The Boulder offers different equalization options as well as a host of other features and adjustment options (I don't like the sound of the Boulder at all, but, that is a matter of personal taste).

As for tube-based options, I own, and like very much, the Viva Fono. The downside, for experimentation, is that it offers no adjustability. I have changed loading, but to do so, I opened it up to change the resistor wired across the input jack (primary side loading of the input step up transformer). The Viva is not cheap, but then again, you are looking at some pretty pricey items.
11flat - you can solve your output limitation by using a purely silver wired switcher like the Uniswitch, in this case you may connect three tonearms with your Lyra-C.