Stand out phono stages

This topic has been started before by others and myself as well, maybe too many times, but it is worth revisiting since the source is so very important!
So far I have had the pleasure to enjoy two worthy phono stages: the EAR 834p and the JLTI.
I have to admit they are spectacular. Obviously the record and all the equipment downstream play a role in the sound heard. In some cases I prefer the JLTI and in other cases the EAR. But neither out do the other dramatically.
What phono preamps outshine others by a big margin, those that can be considered the last phono preamp ever needed.
pedrillo
A lot of tube units are basically tube MM stages with a SUT used to provide the higher gain needed for LOMC. Exceptions, like the Aesthetix Io, have a whole lot of tubes to provide more the extra gain through active stages.

I like tube stages with SUT, provided that the transformer is really good. The Kondo is a good example. I think the SUT in the Audionote (uk) units are really terrific too. One can actually buy their transformers separately, though the top model is extremely pricey. I heard a custom-made stage using their best transformer and it is amazing.
I actually want to skip the sut s .
Im becoming quite fond of the London moving iron i have , i think thats the future not mc s .
If i buy a zanden 1200 i have to use the step up even if i dont need the gain.
So i can conclude that the kondo mm , lamm mm and maybe the zanden (1000) mm are good choices and others probably .
I now have the nagra via mm out , i dont know what exactly i will gain switching to another mm stage.
I have a good gut feeling about the zanden 1000 though as i m quit fond of their model 3000.
The lamm will be by far the cheapest choice.
Another vote for the TRON Seven.

Top class sounding tube phono stage with real quality build and bespoke components. Built to order and so you can specify MC gain, cartridge loading etc.
another vote for the Whest Audio PS.30RDT Special Edition and what I now own which is their MC REF V MK4. Excellent all discrete Class-A no BS stage which sounds unlike any SS state I compared it to. gain and load from the factory can be changed on request before shipping.
The Lamm will become an extraordinary MM & MC phono stage if you do some small changes, especially on the tubes, caps, connector plugs and SUTs. If you are using the MM input with a London Reference it is just great but also with matching external SUTs this will be a benchmark phono stage, sometimes underrated and possibly not equipped with the best possible ingredients by the manufacturer.