Starting over with vinyl

Having just acquired new MMGs after a decade without music (yes, what a long strange trip it has been), I will begin to rebuild my music collection.

The question is "vinyl or cd"?  I have a collection of 100 or so CDs and no vinyl at all.

My system is Adcom GTP-500, GFA-555 and MMGs.  An Onix XCD-88 and Denon DCM-280 take care of the CD side.

Musical preferences are folk, bluegrass, jazz, classical and rock and roll (60s and 70s) and female vocals.

My last turntable was a Revox B970 and before that there was a Technics belt drive with a Shure V15 cartridge.

Buying used, what would be a reasonable starting place with a budget of $500 for equipment?  And is there anything I should know about the phono stage of the GTP-500 (checked out and functioning as designed) that would steer me away from vinyl?

Thanks in advance for your responses
kythyn

kythyn,

I have the older Debut Carbon but upgraded it with the speedbox and acrylic platter, it's a decent setup with as much cartridge as you can afford. I have the super MMG's myself (on sound anchor stands) with two DWM panels on Mye stands. IMO there is nothing the combination can't provide save the low HZ I get from a Salk sub. Together it's pure sweetness.

One thing I would strongly suggest is Tidal lossless streaming, it's just Good! It will help with music discovery to help rebuild you rebuild your music library.

I also strongly recommend Tidal lossless streaming. Save a lot of time looking for CD. At home, I use Oppo 105 32bit DAC for decoding Tidal 16bit stream. Super quiet background and good dynamic. On the road, I am using mobile device with USB 24bit DAC.

Another vote for a DAC and monthly subscription to Tidal. I have over 2000 Jazz records from the 50's and 60's which I love dearly but it cost me a small fortune to build that collection to say nothing of the analog system.

Until I heard Tidal and other Hi rez digital downloads streamed through my MusicVault M7 to my PS Audio Directstream DAC, I always preferred vinyl. There are lots of very good DAC / music streaming solutions for less than what I spent (as suggested above) and the price to quality ratio is rapidly dropping. This is the way of the future. IMHO.