Store auditioning and then buying on-line from others. How do you feel about it ?

Doesn't look too pretty, but who cares, right ?
inna
Right.  If they're jerks, no problem at all.  Or, if they're idea of level-matching is giving the one that's in stock or has a higher margin a couple db cushion.  Same guy who trashes everything you and competitors have and even his own product if it's not in stock.  Same guy who won't stfu while one tries to listen to the wonderfulness he kept describing.  Go somewhere else.  No problem.
I’m in sales and I buy from my customers. Think about that. I.....buy.....from.....my......customers! When I need something that one of my customers sells, I buy from them. I don’t care what the price is. They support me and therefore I support them. It boils down to, what comes around goes around. If you’re going to visit a local store that offers you some form of service you should buy from them if you decide to purchase that product. When you do, those dollars go back into the local economy and will come back to you in some small way. Obviously I am a huge proponent of buying local. Do you want that store to be there? Then buy from them! Generally speaking I bet the service you receive is far better then your online source.
$5800 sale is next to nothing for Goodwin's High End. $58000 - they might pay attention. Just as in NYC area, Boston area is full of people living in a totally different economic reality than most of us. What are the formal rules, by the way ? Do dealers have to allow the audition regardless of anything if the customer insists ? Or there are no rules ?  

By the way, I would pay them for the audition not because I care about them, which I don't, but because I would want to buy an hour for serious listening without any interference.
The whole B&M buying experience is in rough shape after being assaulted - first by the big box stores and later by internet sales.  As margins began to decline we started seeing lower paid, younger salespersons with less knowledge about the products.  The internet has not only resulted in many manufacturers selling direct, without the added cost of a dealer network, but it also offers a vast amount of information on just about any product.  An astute internet researcher can usually learn more about a product on-line than they would learn from a salesperson.  Also, B&M stores simply cannot carry the variety of different gear a buyer can consider when researching and purchasing equipment on-line.  The main advantage of a B&M store is the ability to hear products prior to purchasing but on-line dealers have largely overcome that advantage by offering in-home auditions and 30-day money-back options.

Some folks like the B&M experience and wouldn't consider purchasing high-end audio equipment on-line.  Many however have increased their knowledge about different gear because of the internet and are more comfortable purchasing gear on-line. My personal solution was to simply stop visiting B&M stereo shops.  One could argue that I may have actually made less mistakes and saved money had I continued to purchase my gear from B&M stores, where I could hear the gear first.  I am not sure that would have been as much fun, and I certainly wouldn't have been exposed to such a wide variety of different gear. 
Although nobody is "obligated" to support a dealer by purchasing products from a B&M store,  they should not abuse the hospitality of the B&M store by shopping there with no intention to purchase from the store.