Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa

Oregonpapa:

I am glad the RED is working so well for you and did not mean to say it is not working for others....happy for you.

My comments are very real in my situation/system and why we have so many choices in audio. Fuses are just another point of integration along the process of making your musical enjoyment. Simpler put no one fuse is better than another in all situations. Trust your enjoyment and what works for you.

gwalt

Hi Gwalt,
Your experience with the SR Red fuses makes sense to me in that these outcomes are all individual in nature with the numerous variables. 
As you  note,  fuses are no different than  comparing cables or any audio products,  results will vary.  In your system another fuse may be an ideal fit.

The Red fuses have been stellar in my system and a wonderful discovery,  so I'm very curious to hear the Black version in my system. The Reds contribute to a full bodied tonality and very fleshed out harmonic overtones and are beautifully 3 dimensional. So for a multitude of factors results will be diverse among listeners. Good luck with your searce.
Charles, 
Jafreeman

Interesting thoughts.

I suspect the new phase of A/B-ing Red-Black-Red-Black we’re entering will be more problematic than the revelatory first hearing of the Red. I think the vagaries of A/B occur because we tend to overlay what we’re hearing with what we previously heard, so instead of being an insightful measuring device, the brain is singing along, blending memory of sound with what’s being currently experienced. It’s also true that our minds make us conscious of something newly perceived, but can ignore something that fades because memory can fill in what fades. If we’ve been hearing “The girl with colitis goes by”, but the Red reveals the lyric is actually “The girl with kaleidoscope eyes”, then we’re going to hear “kaleidoscope” regardless of whether we go back to old fuse, or forward to the Black. So what we hear is often cumulative, and what is lost is often ameliorated with memory. I think this is why A/B tends towards “can’t tell the difference” when switching back and forth.

In my case, my initial perception was that the Reds were presenting more information through a clearer window, which turned singers into imperfect humans—sometimes struggling, instruments with more of the discordant overtones, and percussion with more “hitting something hard with intent.” I can understand why some systems would portray the effect as “lean” or “cold,” but I think most systems are warmer and more resonant than reality. I really couldn’t go back to the less revealing sound, but I was aware that in choosing the Red, I was choosing a more naked portrayal where I perceived things as sounding authentic, but sometimes less “easy listening.” I found that there was a different pleasure from the realness of the Red portrayal versus the pleasure of pleasant sound such as tube glow or accentuated punch. Naked can be off-putting, but also euphoric :-)

I’ve heard tubes change, but in general, I’m not confident I have the ear to discern burn in, or can attribute changing perception to a physical object, so the initial perception of the Black being “hard” is a cautionary tale for me.

The Synergistic BLACK fuses were installed in the Antelope DAC (uses two) and in the SET Type 45 tube amp. Speakers are Terasonic high efficiency. Since the DAC has a digital volume control, I will leave the system on but no sound from the speakers until critical listening this Saturday. That way I do not listen to any break in changes and  temporary impressions that may cloud my listening.

I may find I like an all BLACK system, a combination of RED and BLACK or an all RED ! 

I plan to have FUN and enjoy listening to the sonic changes.

David Pritchard