Technics 1200G - clamp record weight or no record weight?

It seems as though 95% of the time the 1200G sounds better without a clamp or weight.  I use a Boston audio mat and it seems when I add a clamp or weight, it may sound pleasing in some ways for some records but most of the time records seem to sound better without anything...  maybe its just the mat does not like the clamp.  not sure...  How are your experiences?  So far I have used the Project puck, Stillpoints LPI, Orsonic 200 gram clamp.  The Stillpoints may sound the best in some circumstances but it seems that the lighter Orsonic works pretty good. 
tzh21y
Try Micro Seiki ST-10, i don’t think 95% of the records are totally flat, for critical listening there must be some sort of weight on top of them to flatten them and to clamp them to a mat (if someone using metal mats like Micro Seiki CU-180 or Saec SS-300)
Technics doesn’t have an upper thrust bearing, so don’t use a clamp or you will damage the spindle. 
You will not damage anything, Technics supports not only heavy clamps of 1kg, but also heavy mat of 2kg. It’s been said many times on audiogon, no harm for the bearings. The SP-10mk2 and mk3 ownrs use superheavy mats and clamps, the SL1200G series can be used with heavy clamps, absolutely no problem. It’s Technics!
I've tried with and without clamping using a VPI clamp on my 1200GR and can't tell the difference. For this reason I say no clamp. BUT, I also use a Herbies mat that could offset the sonics of the stock rubber mat if used with clamp, which combination I have not yet tried.