The big DAC decision

One of the challenges of building an audio system is trying to make sure that all of the individual components of that system have equivalent and compatible technical specifications. For example, it doesn’t make sense to purchase speakers that are capable of producing sound in the 5Hz to 20kHz range if your amp is only capable of sending audio signals in the 30Hz to 15kHz range to these speakers. Unless, of course, you hope to upgrade your audio system such that it can properly drive these speakers someday.

In my desire to build an audio system that has the proper balance of individual component capabilities I’ve found myself struggling over the choice of a DAC. Basic technical specifications aren’t necessarily applicable here. The foundation of my system is a Woo Audio WA-33 headphone amp and Focal Utopia headphones. My music files consist of standard CD 16bit/44kHz resolution to Hi-Res DSD files. What I’m struggling with is choosing a DAC that would allow me to get the most out of this amp and headphone pairing. From the research I’ve done so far it is clear that the $23k Meridian Audio Ultra DAC would bring out the best of any system it is connected to. But does it make sense to purchase a DAC of this quality (and price) for my humble headphone system? Or would it be more appropriate to get the Chord DAVE (setting the MQA format compatibility issue aside for this discussion)? I’m currently using an Oppo 105D as my DAC and the music sounds pretty decent, but I know my system can sound better.

So I was hoping to get some input from fellow audio enthusiasts out there to make what may be the most important decision of my system build. I’m also looking at getting a PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant 12 to power this system. Anyone out there have any suggestions or thoughts on this issue?

slvrsrfr
Hello all,

Thank you for the very informative discussion.  As far a DACs go, I'm trying to integrate digital music into my 2 channel Stereo/AV system.  Would I benefit from a good AV processor AND an external DAC that can handle the various file types like PCM, DSD, and MQA?  Whats the benefit if any of having both?  My current system consists of Krell 3 channel amp and Krell Phantom preamp.  I've tried plugging my MAC computer headphone jack to the RCA inputs of the Phantom playing Tidal tracks and that only sounds decent.  Can I get better with a dedicated DAC and/or processor such as the MX 160.  All this is new to me and I'd open for suggestions.  Thanks.
Hi slvrsrfr.  I've had the WA-33 for about a year now, and am a huge fan.  I don't just use it as a headphone amp.  Often, I use the preamp outs direct to my power amps, and have skipped a separate preamp altogether.  
For most of the last year, I used a Lampizator Golden Gate DAC, after owning/auditioning many other DACs.  It was fantastic and expensive (although less expensive than the Meridian Ultra DAC you're looking at).  Recently, very much against my better judgement, I made the jump to the (even more expensive) Lampizator Pacific.  Alas, it was worth it!  My system (including my headphones) sounds better than ever.
Bottom line, I'm sorry to say, is that you'll need to listen to some DACs.  The fact that you're limiting yourself to headphones doesn't mean you won't be able to hear the difference.
Thanks for the feedback jfax237.  I am enjoying the WA-33 as well.  And it’s good to know that a quality DAC will indeed add to my listening pleasure :-)

I’ve gotten some great DAC suggestions.  I was originally leaning towards the Chord DAVE but I was concerned that the WA-33 and Focal Utopia cans would not be able to fully render the DAVE’s analog signal.  So I was fully expecting people to talk me down from spending so much money for a DAC dedicated to a headphone centric system.

As was noted earlier though, you really need to optimize the quality of your analog signal if you are going to reach the full potential of your audio system.  Philosophically, that makes sense to me.  Even if my system can’t render the full analog signal it is still rendering what it can, essentially giving me its maximum performance capacity.  Which is better than having a DAC that gives you a substandard analog signal that falls short of your system’s rendering capability.  Getting us back to the “big DAC decision.”  And that is finding the DAC that provides the analog signal at the transition from too much to too little.  In other words, buy a DAC that is too good you’re wasting your money, buy a DAC that is not good enough and you’re left unsatisfied.

It would be fun to try all of the DACs that have been suggested.  Unfortunately, I’m not in a position to do that.  So I’ve decided to error on the high-end side and go with the Lumin X1.  What I’m still wrestling with is the choice for the power conditioner.  I continue to vacillate between the Audio Magic Oracle and the GigaWatt that was highly recommended by some of the responders.
@slvrsrfr that might be the most confusing logic I've seen on these forums. You thought the Chord Dave was going to be too good, so you bought the more expensive Lumin X1? I'm sure both are amazing (I'm just using the humble Mytek Brooklyn DAC+), I just didn't follow the logic path for choosing the Lumin X1
@mayoradamwest.  I provided my specific reasons for choosing the Lumin X1 over the Chord DAVE in an earlier post.