The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions
Here's another press release, this time from Murata Manufacturing Co's (subsidiaries P-Semi) Murata is one of the larger semiconductor manufactures and suppliers.

https://www.psemi.com/newsroom/press-releases/545048-peregrine-s-new-fet-driver-brings-industry-s-fa...

Cheers George

Great find, by  mountainsong

GaN technology for $4k, and this Technics SU-G30 is also a complete network integrated amplifier. Seems like it doesn’t use the 1.5mhz higher switching frequency that the $20k Technics SE-R1 uses, but does use a hybrid power supply, not all smp, and by just using the GaN technology it’s probably front of all it’s competitors anyway.

https://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/1837138-technics-sug30-network-amplifier.jpg

What one reviewer thought

The musical reproduction offered by the Technics SU-G30 was among the best sound of any amplifier I have ever reviewed. Technics has a short preamble in the manual that hypes the great sound of this amplifier and I agree with their marketing-driven assessment. It is ironic that the better digital gets, the closer it sounds to analog. Tubelike even. And at some point, digital can have the best qualities of digital and analog at the same time. This is how I view the audio prowess of the Technics SU-G30 – it is like analog, super clean analog at that.

My generalized listening impressions involved excellent purity of tone, a huge soundstage, amazing detail retrieval along with surprising excellence on streaming services.

BTW looking at the heatsinks in the SU-G30 above, that section is the GaN amp, it may have higher than todays 600khz switching because it’s using these heatsinks, as EPC said to me if left at 600khz there is no need for any heat sinking on any of the GaN boards, so it maybe higher. Could be a great sounding little amp, I can think maybe Quad ESL57’s would be nice as they can’t take to much wattage, or any > 90db speakers

Cheers George

Nobody cares about class T?
People consider class T as in the same category with class D?
 Nobody cares about class T?
People consider class T as in the same category with class D?
Yes. 'Class T' is a trademark.

GaN, aside, I definitely recommend people always seek out and consider the latest and greatest technical innovations that can clearly help move things forward, Class D or otherwise, especially before dropping big bucks on older technology alternatives that have not evolved much but now cost more than ever.