The "charactor" of pure Class A?

I have a pair of Clayton M300 in my set up for the next couple of months. Very nice.

I have to admit these are the first Class A amps I have spent any significant amount of time listening to and I am impressed.

My questions is, do Class A amps have a sonic signature of their own?

I like what I am listening to very much, but would like to be able to discern what might be a base class A sound against what Clatyon itself may bring to the sonic whole...

Comments?
jb8312
I have used several amps that were considered class A. I was a dealer for Krell and Musical Fidelity and had a pair of Stax DA 80s. The common feature was a lack of hardness in the top end. But I don't think being class A is a critical feature, it is just part of the overall design of the amp. I prefer the sound of other amps I have or have had to the sound of the above. Disclaimer, I used the earlier generation Krell , the current top end ones are much better , but at a very high cost. The current Musical Fidelity amp[M3] I use is much better than the 270 of years ago which was class A . The Meridian 605s I use are Mosfets , they sound considerably better than the KMA 100s which were their contemporaries. I think you have to review the overall performance of a given amp and how it will fit into your system rather than deciding on the basis of general design principals.
I would have to agree...an amp is either a good amp or its not...regardless of design...there are those that put a high value on specs, distortion,etc...but listening is the key...that being said...i used to have an early Musical fidelity a series as well...great amp...im an idiot for letting that go...but they did have some reliability issues due to heat...and the fact that some place other componets on top of them(bad idea)....Sugden is another famous class a company....
Own the Sugden A21SE integrated. I've owned very good SS/tube amps over the years, a myriad of English, Japanese and American built. The characteristic that most impresses me with the Sugden is the lightening quickness. I was convinced that I had owned fairly quick amps in the past with great attack, but this thing is in a class by itself. The vocals and acoustic piano are quite good, bass is remarkably solid and quick.

The midrange is not quite as sweet as say my VTLs were. Imaging seems very respectable although I wouldn't say it floats the instruments in an airy way. I'm running Coincident Triumphs with 93db efficiency, so it doesn't have much work for a 30wpc amp.
For some, Class A is an article of faith, for others just a myth.

Given the inconvenience of high heat and the added expense of building Class A, it's an awfully high maintenance myth, if it is one.
Cdc, just for the record, anytime you are 'mixing' class A with B, its called A/B. IOW that's the definition.

Also, Class A amplifiers are the best at rock- Class A should be the best at everything, FWIW. If Stereophile said otherwise it is only because they are completely dead wrong.

This is not to say that 'all class A amps sound better than all class A/B amps' or whatever, since there are so many design variables that exist. But class A, as a class of operation, is the best for all types of music.