The Science of Cables

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why cables sound the way they do. When I see discussions on cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like shielding, gauge, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things like resistance, impedance, inductance, capacitance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t cables discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivist” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in cables. 

I know cables are often system dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128mkgus
Physical measurements are great for determining how much voltage and current a line can safely carry, what insulation is required for what voltage, etc. That's it.

Audio is not about any of that. Audio is about how it sounds. Electrical measurements are totally irrelevant. Sorry, but they are. This is probably because of our present poor understanding of exactly what it is that makes something sound good.

Stop and actually think about this one for a minute. When we know how to make something, when the science is worked out fully, then everyone would know it. They would all be doing the same, or pretty much the same. Seen any airplanes with the flat part of the wing on top? Not likely! Because we understand the science and physics of air flow. 

But now notice, even in aircraft where we understand really well what is going on, hence all airplane wings look the same, this does not hold true at the sharp end of development. Stealth and hypersonic aircraft wings do look a little different. Because these delve into areas where we are still figuring out and trying to understand. Or they are special applications, with their own specialized performance criteria.

Still figuring out and trying to understand? Highly specialized performance criteria? That is the whole entire subject of high end audio! Nobody knows why one thing sounds better than another! Nobody! Hardly anyone even agrees on what better sound sounds like!

These are simply the facts. We don't agree if sealed, ported, transmission line, dipole, electrostatic, Bose or Wilson sounds better. We don't agree on gold, silver, rhodium, copper, or layers of some or all or mixes of unobtainium being best for wire. Or on the dielectric, or even, once we make the darn things, where they should go: On the floor? Or elevated above it??? You think anyone's gonna stand any chance using measurements or design to select speaker cable?
That's a good one. Tell me another one. I'm stuck in LA waiting for a flight. I could use a good laugh.
For all the objectivists who wail "all we need to know is L, C and R", I’ve yet to hear what those values are in any given system. There is no one size fits all solution.

All the best,
Nonoise
measurements? how about only buying from companies that give you a trial period and get your ears measured and rely on them.
Ears remain the best test instrument and practically no ears are like any other ears. What I mean is that if your ears protrude further from the side of your head than normal you will hear totally differently than someone who has ears that remain close to their head. You can demonstrate this by physically moving your ears out while listening to music. The difference is dramatic.
Because if everything was spelled out to the uniformed these cables couldn't be sold with over the top prices . Have to keep the uniformed in the dark to be able to charge the ripoff prices .