The Science of Cables

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why cables sound the way they do. When I see discussions on cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like shielding, gauge, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things like resistance, impedance, inductance, capacitance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t cables discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivist” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in cables. 

I know cables are often system dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128mkgus
Guess it would be real interesting to find out who, on average, has the better sounding rigs. The folks who ultimately rely on the LCR or those that rely on the EAR.

Good question! I would have to say without a doubt the system that relied on ears (assuming someone spent the time required to fine tune the system to their liking.) We cannot at the present moment explain all the measurements and chemical reactions that occur to make one system more enjoyable than the other. I say chemical reactions because you can’t remove your brain from the picture - it’s part of the system. 
To continue on that thought - you can use measurements to build your system and get a pretty good room response, but you can’t fine tune with measurements. Why? Because the goal isn’t definable (at least at this time). What would your goal be with measurements? A ruler flat response curve? It’s been done, and usually it sounds bad. The goal is to fine tune the system in order to produce the most pleasing sound to the listener and ideally one that extracts maximum emotion and realism. Good luck putting those concepts in a formula. 
>>less than the width of an atom.<<

What?! If that’s true then ears are a form of nanotechnology. They truly are better than the microphones used to take measurements. That’s crazy!
LCR does have an audible influence, but are not the only factors in overall sound quality. A cable no matter how expensive cant improve the sound, it can however do less harm and let more music through. All cables color the sound, the better ones just do it the least. 

Might I suggest starting this thread on the TuneLand forum or any expert audio forum who has a wider range than this thread. Without graphs, charts, diagrams and pictures your taking a subject that has been covered some 30 years ago and just adding to the circle of words.

Not that these are bad words by any means, just repeated over and over for the last 3 decades. By now all of you should be cable experts (if you have been in the hobby over ten years).

A new audiophile today can get up on cable knowledge easily within a couple of months if they know one thing, and only one thing needed, a community of folks who have already covered these topics and show the results in real time.

Audiogon is a cool forum, but keep in mind it's a beginners forum. You can be an audio beginner for 50 years and still not be experienced on the basic topics and issues. That's why you see the same topics repeated for 30 or so years. Audio forum threads unfortunately are not designed to be places of building documentation and references. Opinions? Yes, both more experienced and little experience, but without a good foundation usually. Simply put, your only going to get so far before the inexperienced and experienced get mixed into the same brew. Having to start the same topic again and again only really proves one thing, the whole is not documenting things properly and ends up falling into a hole instead of understanding a whole. No ones fault, just the nature of mixing fresh wine with old wine, instead of drinking from a properly aged vintage.  

mg