Thiel or Meadowlark?

Could you share opinions on the Thiel 1.5 vs Meadowlark Swifts? I'd like to spend around $1000 for a small floorstander, small room 12'x12'x10', ARC tubes, Theta digital, VPI analog. Acoustic jazz, soft pop, older vinyl. Had Thiel 2 2's, haven't heard the Swifts. Must be placed close to rear wall, be revealing but musically involving. Been doing this 30 yrs. so all audiophile expectations apply. I know I'm asking alot but it's all I have to work with. Thanks, John.
captpenny
Captpenny,

I almost had a situtation like yours where I currently own a pair of Thiel 22's and moved into a smaller listening room (17x15x7). I decided to keep the 22's and so far am happy that I did. However, your scenerio was quite similar to mine. What I was leaning towards was going with the Thiel .5's and Sound Anchor Stands with a good musical sounding Sub like a REL. I feel that both the 1.5's and .5's are really too short when sitting on the floor for optimal listening. Many feel that they must be elevated off the ground a few inches so that the tweeter and midrange is at the correct level with your ears. With a good sub, you won't miss the low end of the 22's and should really get a much better end result. Most would never be happy stepping down or settling for something less than what we once had especially in this crazy hobby. Just my two cents.
Completely different in sound ..Thiels are more analytical,drier,and difficult to drive...Larks are smoother,more forgiving,and easier to mate with tubes or SS...both are phase correct...I find the Thiels metallic tweets bright...Larks only use fabric domes...very non-fatiguing....Thiels are very lean in bass...so is the new Lark "Swift"...if you can swing it...go with Kestrals...or a bigger albeit pricier Thiel...they both excel...but in completely opposite ways...good thread..
Can't argue with Islandflyfisher's assessment. Spot on. There is another Meadowlark thread today, a couple up the line. I shared some of my earlier feelings about Kestral and Swift. Swift's front port allows them to go close to the wall with little damage to the sound. I have yet to find a small floorstander that beats them out -- dollar for dollar, sound for sound. I have found a couple monitors that give them a run for the money, but they cost from $1700 - 3000. I think you should bring home some Swifts and listen for yourself. Also be prepared to play with wires.
If your going to go Meadowlark...go Kestrals...they have a much fuller presentation than the Swifts...the Swifts are a bit lean for my tastes...might work in a very small room...but overall I like the added low end of the Kestrals...they are a bit more in price...but the extra $400 or so is well spent...the Swifts also require stands...another "hidden" cost...good luck..

ive auditioned the kestrals and the herons, theyre very detailed but the bass on both models is patheteic - boomy,unbearable. On the other hand ive auditioned a few thiels. they offered very tight bass but were overly bright to the point wher they could be annoying. im in the the same boat as you, i cant find a speaker that offers detail and tight bass.the only speaker ive heard that blew me away were Wilsons save your money theyre probably worth it