Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

Showing 20 responses by tomic601

Do Model 02 count ?
IMO Jim and Richard Vandersteen are on the short list of engineer / designers / music lovers who get it..RIP Jim

We moved a bit of Jims stuff with Audionics CC2 amps....back in the day..

used gear shop u district Seattle almost always has a pair or three at fair prices..
use the Vandersteen manual to pick locations. very similar design philosophy w Jim. ignore the tilt, taken care of for you w sloped baffle, but the slope creates the limit of the 9-12' ish sweet spot. just design trade...

also, appreciate the review of Alan’s great HiFi Buys in Atlanta. I have over the years bought a bunch of gear there and have always been spoiled by him and his team. 
best

Jim
my compliments on this most excellent, civil and collaborative thread ! Many thanks Jafant.

I am working a trade for a pair of 2.3 with some updated drivers ( mid/tweeter and xover ) , dont have them as yet but will post when I do. I worked at a Thiel dealer in late 70’s early 80’s ( Audio Connection Huron, Ohio ) so I certainly appreciate the brand, history and especially Jim T and his engineering and principle driven approach. I am certain I met Jim while at CES in Chicago, probably at the Drake.
While I am a big Vandersteen fan, I do look forward to having a pair of Thiel in the arsenal !

Jim
@tomthiel. i also meant to thank you and pass on my admiration for the great work you and brother did. And condolences. So very happy to hear you are reinvigorated and moving the ball forward again - rebirth is possible !!!!

my understanding is they are factory supported updates w dual magnets and related xover changes. I take delivery sometime Mid February and will get you serial numbers, photos, then.

My brother still has a pair of 02 circa 1979 ish..running strong !!!!!!

best !

Jim
the Vandersteen aerodynamic driver patent has expired, reflections do matter
Bryston has a unique port shape also....at least in the mini-A

happy Friday to all !!!!!

@pwhinson Lovely room and setup
the laser is your friend !!! Verify distance from seated position to each mid/tweeter also
i do this by shooting laser from my chin
also don’t underestimate the great sound possible in an odd shaped treated room :-)
thanks for the pictures !!
enjoy
jim
no reply expected TomT..but I for one hope that w bankruptcy closure comes the return of the vaunted Thiel Audio name to you !!! my great hope, as these things go...

@tomthiel. I took delivery today of a nearly pristine pair of 2.3 in natural Cherry veneer today from a great local Audiogon member.

serial numbers 4341 and 4342

They were original sold  by Thiel to Fred’s Sound of Music in Portland, OR ( I have been a customer there every now and then.. ) even the shipping boxes are fresh 

hope to listen to them this eve

missing the carpet spikes, what are dimensions? Or can I get those thru Rob ?
 Yes another great lost way early... more reason to enjoy our passion of music and good sound NOW !!!!
I might be interested in the sound anchors

so I am 3 sides into Hypnotic Eye on Vinyl ( if you want to know what’s in the system look at my Vintage virtual system )

big fun, took two sides for the tube pre and power amp to smooth out..,,

nice sound overrall , at this point glad I have the MX-110 Z tone controls....

my ears are 8’6” from coaxial driver

as an aside
get yourselves a Leica Disto 2 or Bosch, makes setup so much easier,,,,

ymmv
@tomthiel. Thanks so much for referral to Rob for parts...
the two access plates on bottom, I assume x-over can be accessed via the larger ?
i will stay in touch with 2.4 filter development- big fun.....
 @jafant System is Denon DP-35 F , Nakagoka 110 cartridge into a Croft RIAA-RS ( single chassis w NOS tubes ), into a Richard Modeferi hotrodded and restored McIntosh MX-100 Z also NOS tubes, into a Mike Samra hotrodded McIntosh MC240 ( paper in oil, modern regulation, etc, running NOS... cables a haphazard mix of Chord, Blue Jeans and Audioquest.....
CD source is McIntosh MCD205
Monday will switch our table for newly rebuilt SOTA Sapphire/Sumiko FT-3/Grado Reference-Platinum....

fun
flat frequency response is just part of the work
time domian, energy storage and release are also important....
yes i am a Vandersteen fan for sure...

but as I dial them into my room the 2.3 are quite good

i will remove the bottom larger access plate.....if required, removing the passive radiator to access xover is not imo a good design tradeoff....especially mounted from backside of baffle as it appears to be......

as for no standards....true....so to learn where in the chain..things go wrong.....built a pretty good mobile recording rack.....let me tell you it is microphones.....

fun

for those of you w access to live unamplified music consider your own experiments in the chain....

for analog get a Revox A-77 and a couple of decent microphones....hint check out the excellent recordings made by the late ( RIP ) Charley Hansen of Ayre....for his list of relatively inexpensive gear....all told this analog experiment will set you back about $2k....with good headphones, this will rival just about anything.....

for simple digital a Zoom H6 can be amazing...wayyyy under $1 k

otherwise get an Ayre A to D, and of course microphones....

then start comparing to what you heard....

a fun journey....your results may vary....
a zoom 6 at $400 is hardy what i would call unlimited $$$$$

a great learning tool, Has been for me anyway...

have fun

model 2 have just now with recent price increase caught up with inflation.....
but my sense is both Jim T and Richard frugal engineers where cost and target price points are paid attention to.

The Quattro is a stunning value and with carbon tweeter outperforms the 5 a in every way except maybe the bottom 40 HZ

I know, I owned 5a for years...even the new Treo Ct has better mid and up performance than the vaunted 5a

i would LOVE to see Thiel get back in the time and phase fight.....
yes Havens and Hardesty in SoCal
i met Curtis Havens in about 1988 in Tacoma where he set up shop as Advanced Audio. Curtis is an avid cold water surfer, retired. Sold Advanced to Definitive Audio of Seattle.
Advanced is a Vandersteen, ARC, Magnaplaner Ayre dealer...