Thiel VS Green Mt

After listening to lots of speakers I still have not heard anything I like better than my Thiel CS 2.3s although the Gallo Nuc. Ref. 3s were close. I am at the point where only time/phase accurate speakers will do for me. I am very interested in the Green Mt Callistos but there are no dealers less than an 8 hr drive away. Has anyone compared these two speakers? I have a REL sub so the limited low end of the Callisto is not a worry. About the only thing I would like to change with my Thiels is the slight brightness on many recordings.

Tim McTeague
mcteague
Tim, GMA uses fewer parts in the crossover than Thiel does. Those extra parts could be whats causing the harshness on some recordings. Give the Callisto a listen. I think you'll be impressed.

I'm biased since I've been using the Callistos for the past ten years.  All I can say are they are very involving and one of the most realistic sounding speakers I've heard especially on voices.  I have heard the Thiels many times and I prefer the Callistos, just my opinion.  Compared to the Callistos, the Thiels did sound bright on certain voices and recordings and it could be the metal tweeter, not sure.

I'm also using a Rel Storm III sub to augment the lows and this sub blends extremely well with the speakers.  In my opinion you do need a sub with the Callistos to reproduce the full range, the Thiels don't.

The Callistos are extremely easy to drive and much more sensitive than other time/phase coherent speakers.  I'm driving them with a Pathos TT 30 wpc integrated and they get much louder than I can ever listen to.  I couldn't use this integrated with many other speakers.

My only debate now is whether I want to upgrade to the EOS HX.

Has anyone compared the Callisto with the EOS HX?  I assume it will be an upgrade but probably more of an incremental upgrade.

I have the Thiel CS2.4's - oh and I have a REL 328 as well. I initially struggled a bit with brightness.  It it was not the speakers. My final combination was a tube preamp (BAT  VK3ix) with a SS amp with high current ability (Parasound A21). I know the Parasound isn't as glamorous as some other amps but boy does it get the job done. Also the REL sub helps the bottom end be more in overall tonal balance since the Thiels don't have deep thunderous bass. The final piece was using Purist speaker cable and Cardas Clear light interconnects. 

I dont know know if this helps but I hope it gives you some thoughts