Tube Biasing ?

What is the effect of a slightly over biased tube , a slightly under biased tube ? Does it increase the function by trading off longevity / decrease function and increase longevity ? Is it the same for different circuits as in pre amplification , multiplex decoding , amplification ?
fbi
There's another thread here on bias vs. sound with some posts from people who I feel are more experienced than I. You all should be warned that I don't hear results from some of the tweaks that are mentioned. Whether it's my ancient ears or my system just isn't resolving enough, who knows? But, Q.E.D., if I hear it, it must be there. Lowering the bias a gross amount, by 1/2, which I tried, gives a "warmer" sound. After a few minutes it becomes clear that the "warmth" is rolled off highs and a general loss of detail and attack transients. I value my RM-10 for the accuracy, detail, and solid bass it conveys while retaining some of the mid-range euphony of tubes. That's the way Rodger designed it and the upper range bias keeps it there.
KITCH , You sound like you've been around the block too , not being talked into the kings new wardrobe . Thank you all for the input with no loss of output and no distortion .