Tube dampeners on ARC gear ... FREE TWEAK

Here's a cheap (free) tweak for owners of ARC gear using the black tube dampeners. If you move both dampeners as far up toward the top of the tube as possible without having the top one fall off, taking care that both dampeners are solidly touching each other, you will get better dynamics, bass, mids, highs and a lower noise floor. Try it ... you'll like it.
128x128oregonpapa

Hey it's not voodoo, all they do is to damp the cheap thin glass of todays new tubes from ringing, nothing else. Nothing inside of the metal tube structure itself anodes, cathodes, grids, getters, heaters ect, as that stuff is all bonded to the base material. If you want dead thick glass you have to look at NOS tubes. 

And no, any type of tube damper will not stop a tube from being microphonic. 

Cheers George 

georgelofi
1,525 posts
06-03-2016 5:34am
"Hey it’s not voodoo, all they do is to damp the cheap thin glass of todays new tubes from ringing, nothing else. Nothing inside of the metal tube structure itself anodes, cathodes, grids, getters, heaters ect, as that stuff is all bonded to the base material. If you want dead thick glass you have to look at NOS tubes.

And no, any type of tube damper will not stop a tube from being microphonic."

All tubes are microphonic, even NOS tubes. Even "low-microphonic" NOS tubes. As I said previously even the base suffers vibration. If it was only the glass that vibrated as you say there wouldn’t be an issue since the glass doesn't carry the signal at least the last time I looked. The internal parts must be subject to vibration, too, obviously. Furthermore,  the ideal location for the damper is usually next to the getter, whether it’s a top getter or bottom getter. So it appears your theory probably needs some adjustment.

Tootles
^^^  

Reducing micro vibrations is a major key in obtaining a  highly resolving system.  As a vinyl lover, the only thing I want vibrating is that needle in the record groove. 

So many in the hobby, especially newbies, aren't aware of what can be done to reduce, or eliminate these vibrations.  Tube dampeners are just one small area to attack ... even to the point of location of the tube rings on the tubes. 

Could a new topic be in the offing?  

oregonpapa OP
941 posts
06-03-2016 9:43am
^^^
"Reducing micro vibrations is a major key in obtaining a highly resolving system. As a vinyl lover, the only thing I want vibrating is that needle in the record groove. 

So many in the hobby, especially newbies, aren't aware of what can be done to reduce, or eliminate these vibrations. Tube dampeners are just one small area to attack ... even to the point of location of the tube rings on the tubes.

Could a new topic be in the offing?"

Sounds like voodoo to me. I'm down.