Tube dampeners on ARC gear ... FREE TWEAK

Here's a cheap (free) tweak for owners of ARC gear using the black tube dampeners. If you move both dampeners as far up toward the top of the tube as possible without having the top one fall off, taking care that both dampeners are solidly touching each other, you will get better dynamics, bass, mids, highs and a lower noise floor. Try it ... you'll like it.
128x128oregonpapa
Okay, so I've had the Herbie's tube dampeners on the three power tubes (6550's) for a week now. One in the phono stage, one in the preamp, and finally one in the CD player.

Its more of what was experienced with the dampeners on the preamp signal tubes. Another veil has been lifted ... with the welcomed further improvement in accurate tonal balance. Its all improved from top to bottom including the most natural stand-up acoustic bass I've ever experienced in my system. With each installation of the Herbie tube dampeners, more grain is removed from the system allowing for a clearer picture of the musicians and their instruments. The 3-D relief becomes more pronounced, improving the realism of each performance. 

One of my favorite speakers from a tonal balance standpoint is the Harbeth 40.2's.  With the addition of the Herbie's tube dampeners in the system, that's the kind of tonal balance I'm getting at this point. Honestly, I knew the Legacy Signature III's were a great speaker, especially when driven in tube gear ... but I had no idea they were THIS freakin' good. Its like listening to a big pair of Harbeth 40.2's except with better deep bass. 

Next month ... three more signal tubes in the phono and two more in the amp will get the Herbie's treatment. Stay tuned ...

Frank
Frank,

I returned the Rx dampers and exchanged for the SS dampers and they worked great in my system.  I am experiencing the same thing you described on your previous posts but no cut off on high and mid this time:)  Robert at Herbie's Audio also made it very easy!  I am also thinking about pulling the trigger to replace all 4 rail fuses in my amp with the Black fuses since they are having some special in December.  Thanks for all the tips and happy holidays to you!

Allan
Allan ...

You are entirely welcome.  Glad you found the SS dampeners to work well for you. The Rx dampeners have been a real blessing in my system. It really odd how so many of these tweaks are system dependent.

I predict that you are going to love what the Black fuses will do for your amp. As I stated in a much earlier post ... I thought with the ARC-REF-75se, with the KT150 tubes, that I finally found a grain free amp. The amp takes only one fuse. Replacing that fuse removed another layer of smear that I didn't realize was there.

I'd be real curious how you make out with the fuses. 

Frank 
Frank

just wonder what kind of power cords you are using with your gear. I found it changes the sound significantly on my system.  I am currently using a Audience e powerchord for my amp.  Thx

Allan