Tube dampeners on ARC gear ... FREE TWEAK

Here's a cheap (free) tweak for owners of ARC gear using the black tube dampeners. If you move both dampeners as far up toward the top of the tube as possible without having the top one fall off, taking care that both dampeners are solidly touching each other, you will get better dynamics, bass, mids, highs and a lower noise floor. Try it ... you'll like it.
128x128oregonpapa
@oregonpapa 

We’ve known all tubes are microphonic, even tubes that are marked "non-microphonic," for eons.
True. It's indeed design of tube component that eliminates microphony. 
I'm old-school -- so I do not try to dress tubes.
Czarivey, that quote was mine, actually. Have you tried dressing the tubes in little schoolgirl outfits?  

^^^ Old school here too. However, over the years in the hobby I've discovered that everything vibrates on a micro level. including vacuum tubes. The vibration smears the sound. 

Great advances can be obtained in one's audio system by paying careful attention to these micro-vibrations. The tube dampeners are just one among many ways to treat the micro-vibration beast.

Over the past couple of years I've concentrated on improving the system without buying any more new equipment. The difference between now and two years ago is just astounding.

The next major break-through in our hobby will be in the area of getting micro-arcing in metal to metal electronic connections under control. Believe it or not, they smear the sound in very significant ways.  

Frank

Richard ...

If you want to discuss your chronic pain issues with someone who really understands let me know and I'll PM you my phone number. Sometimes good conversation and handy hints help.

Take care, Bud ...

Frank
Ohh ... "Little school girl outfits." My, this thread has suddenly taken an interesting turn. *lol*