Tube Equipment: Gimmick?

I recently had a mechanical engineer (who has no interest in audio equipment or the industry) express amazement when I told him about the high prices of tube gear. His amazement, he said, stemmed from the fact that tubes are antiquated gear, incapable of separating signals the way (what we call "solid state") equipment can.

In essence, he said tubes could never be as accurate as SS gear, even at the height of the technology's maturity. This seems substantiated by the high-dollar tube gear I've heard - many of the things that many here love so much about the "tube sound" are wonderful - but to my ears, not true to the recording, being either too "bloomy" in the vocal range or too "saturated" throughout, if that makes any sense.

I have limited experience with tubes, so my questions are: what is the attraction of tubes, and when we talk about SS gear, do we hit a point where the equipment is so resolving that it makes listening to music no fun? Hmmm..or maybe being *too* accurate is the reason folks turn from SS to tubes?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts!
aggielaw
Ahmen Slappy! Fuck broccoli!!! Brussel Sprouts have it all over broccoli! Anyone who thinks otherwise ought to have their head examined! Whoops, perhaps we should move this discussion over to "Vegigon". I hear the listings are free right now, and you can buy a head of lettuce for .53 cents (+3.3% for PayPal). They got those hybrid weird-ass veggies there too, like broccoliflower. Look, if you really must have a broccoli-like vegatable, I say just spring for the real thing and get the broccoli. Synergy is critical among vegatables....mix that broccoli up with some baked-alaska desert and you'll be farting up a storm till sunrise and sending your girlfriend running for the hills. Fuck broccoli I say. Go for the Analog taste of Brussel Sprouts.....and have the Baked Alaska anyway! Let the dudes with the Krell gear boil their broccoli on those heat fins and live a lonely pathetic solitary life in their fetid stench, redolent of the horrific lack of synergy in their intestines!

Marco
Slappy, what do tubes "sound" like? My OTL amp sounds extremely transparent with musical bass, textured mids and the best high frequency extension I have ever heard. Saying it is a matter of preference depends on your experience and perspective to carry any weight.

I understand why some people say "some people prefer the tube sound". Personally I think it is because they have not heard the best tube equipment. The best tubes don't have a "sound". The equipment is transparent with textured mids, extended highs... not overly warm mids like some people think "tubes sound like" or are supposed to sound like.

That's just not it. And it is the primary reason why a lot of people never come to realize what tube owners lucky enough to own quality equipment already know. And it is also why most tube owners would never go back to solid state.
I like broccoli.

It's an awesome colonic catalyst that's useful while levitating your girlfriend off the bed when you give her a Dutch Oven.

If your tube equipment is on while you perform, the extra warmth in the room enhances the sweet aroma.
Slappy,

The point is this: There is good tube gear out there, and these sales people at your local retail stores, and electronic ignorants ( who are educated beyond their own intelligence ) are living in the past. They are still giving us the same sales pitch SS promoted, when all the mainstream stereo manufacturers gave us when they made the switch to SS.

Tube equipment is more pleasing to the ear, is just that simple. SS gear is irritating to the ear, I don't care if it is Kell, Plinus, Levinson, ARC, or who ever. The fact is this, your ears are irradiated by SS gear. Maybe one won't notice if only listening for a short while. But hours of listening does produce a slight irritation on SS gear.

Also the mass market must tell you that tube gear just plain sucks. And they must brain-wash their sales people into thinking this. If they didn't then millions of people would be crying for tube gear again. And we certainly couldn't have that now, could we? I think ( just like in my case ) if we lined people up and gave them a listen to good tube gear. There would be a major revival on the audio market.

Jax2,

Please kindly watch your mouth, I find your profanity appalling This is a audio forum, not your local bar :)
Slappy is spot-on KT88. There are a whole butt-load (whoops, hope I didn't offend you there) of SS-loving Audiophiles out there who are anything but irritated by there SS systems. You seem to mistake YOUR opinion for EVERYONE's opinion, and even more dangerous, for fact. That said, I happen to agree with your opinion regarding tube gear and the naievety (where's the spell-check when you need it?) of the general public towards it. I don't know if tubes were panhandled to the public by the sales-people you so readily lump into a pigeon-hole in the floor of an outhouse, whether it would be as widely accepted as you might think. I think the maintenance issues would keep it from being so embraced. Most folks just don't want to fuss with the stuff, they just want to get their pretty metal box home, hook it up and plug it in (for some, that's a bit too much), and walk away while the 200-disk player spits out song-after-song. I don't think hearing tubes is going to change that for most. Just my opinion though...

OK, now I'll go wash my hands with strong soap after typing all those nasty and offensive posts. After that I'll stay after and compose an essay why the use of offensive language should be confined to local bars and brothels. Send me your address KT88 and I'll send you a copy. Please, in the mean time, accept my most humble appologies and let me assure you that it will most certainly happen again.....I just can't help it....somebody, get me a doctor!

Marco