Turntable got absolutely crushed by CD

Long story short, i've just brought home a VPI classic 1 mounted with a Zu-Denon DL103 on JMW Memorial 10.5 with the appropriate heavier counterweight. Had everything dialed in..perfect azimuth, VTF, overhang, with only a slightly higher than perfect VTA. Levelling checked. All good. 

I did a comparison between the VPI and my Esoteric X03SE and it's not even close. The Esoteric completely crushes the VPI in all regards. The level of treble refinement, air, decay, soundstage depth and width, seperation, tonality, overall coherence is just a simply a league above from what I'm hearing from the VPI. The only area the VPI seems to be better at is bass weight, but not by much. 

I'm honestly quite dumbfounded here. I've always believed that analogue should be superior to digital. I know the Esoteric is a much pricier item but the VPI classic is supposed to be a very good turntable and shouldn't be a slouch either. At this point I feel like I should give up on analogue playback and invest further in digital. 

Has anyone had a similar experience comparing the best of digital to a very good analogue setup?

Equipment:
Esoteric X03SE 
VPI Classic, JMW Memorial 10.5, Zu-DL103
Accuphase C200L
Accuphase P600
AR 90 speakers

Test Record/CD:
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing (Redbook vs MOV 180g reissue)

chadsort
Elizabeth, you got a brain storm today. Who cares about music when the equipment is not good? First, make it sound right, then listen. No experience of any kind until it sounds acceptable. 

As I also wrote, I was listening to a 1956 opera recording that was ? bootlegged or a radio broadcast. Reissued by one of the little labels that want to keep them available.                     
The sound was just like listening to a 1950's AM radio. BUT IT DID NOT MATTER! the QUALITY feeling of the music and the singers, the amazing ambience of being in the Milan opera house.I fell seriously sorry for folks who cannot enjoy music unless it seems perfect.
Hello chadsort,

Your conclusion is dumbfounding to me, but I respect your report and your preference.

I agree with those who make the point that to experience the musical and emotional involvement of analog one should play an analog recording. Surfacing definitely is a digital recording. I see intellectually and hear sonically no point in playing a digital recording on an analog playback system, whether vinyl or tape.

Perhaps you simply subjectively prefer the drier/leaner/sharper sound of digital.

My live music listening and high-end audio systems auditioning leads me clearly, directly and unambiguously to the conclusion that state-of-the-art vinyl and tape playback of analog recordings recreates for me a much more musically-satisfying and emotionally-involving experience than does digital. With most digital playback of vocal recordings and piano recordings I find that I cannot even begin to relax and enjoy myself.

As stated brilliantly by Edward Rothstein in his amazing article about high-end audio in The New Republic:  "Analog seeks to approximate perfection, while digital seeks to perfect an approximation."
Not perfect but good enough.
Why don’t you buy a plane ticket and fly to Milan ? You could feel that ambiance the day after tomorrow .
By the way, I disagree with those who think that good digital is less expensive, I think exactly the opposite. You really need extremely expensive equipment to make digital tolerable. With analog - just a few thousand $$$$. If you play your $10k Marantz or Esoteric or Accuphase etc and heard nothing better - you have no idea how digital might sound. Still, it sounds artificial no matter what you do with it, and it always will. By definition. But people are stupid and stubborn and so they will keep trying.