Underestimated, song, artist or group '' gems'' ?

In any category of music you choose ( pop, opera, jazz, rock, folk - whatever ), I would like to find out about ''hidden gems'' - artists, groups or even songs and music that are not widely known or appreciated....you could include songwriters too.

I just feel that part of the excitement of discovering new music can also include past unknown gems that would be worth listening to....

Some of my ''underestimated'' favorites :

Many Elvis Costello tunes
Leonard Cohen's songs
Symphonic ''re-arrangements'' by Leppard in baroque music
The group ''Blue Rodeo''
The group (now extinct) Soul Attorneys - incredible, worth seeking out (Sony Music)
sonicbeauty
October Project: Intense, sincere female vocals
Sunday's "Blind": Exceptional rock energy (forget sequals)
Batdorf & Rodney: Solid writing/performance. Usurped in "Steven Stills wannabe" critics purge.
Dust "Hard Attack": So-so production stunted their career -should have been Valhalla's house band.
Todd Rundgren: Anything after "Hello It's Me". Everything great up to "Second Wind". Known as "Musician's musician".

Jade Warrior "kites"
Bruce Cockburn "High Winds White Sky" "In the Falling Dark" "Humans" "Joy will find a Way"
Happy the Man
on ECM: Steve Tibbits "Safe Journey" Terje Rypdal "Decendre" Kenny Wheeler "Knu High" Ralph Towner "Solo Concert"
Oregon on Electra, "Roots in the Sky" in my opinion one of their best but a poor quality U.S. pressing, I never see it on import vinyl.
Mickey Newberry - Frisco Mabel Joy
Folks have recorded over 400 covers of his songs. This album is heartbreaking. I've loved it for 30 years.
Sonicbeauty, I don't know how old you are (I'm 38) but give Steve Forbert a listen. His cd "American In Me" (1998)is one of my all-time favorites. It's strong and great songwriting on it. I second The Tragically Hip recommendation. Beth Orton has some great stuff out too! I you're lookin' for something more current check out Interpol, a band out of New York (think Echo and the Bunnymen meet David Bowie).

Oh well back to work (this is fun though)!