Unfocused Sound stage

My sound stage has gotten very very big. On some cuts between between a third and almost half way up the side walls. That might be great but the center vocals also spread across the stage. Instruments in the background seem to be stable and more defined.

I tried moving the speakers around. Had them in the "golden triangle." Moved them 6" up and back and closer to side wall as well as closer to the middle. Not much change. Changed digital cable and amps. I run a all tube pre-amp. Could this be a issue with a tube? Other ideas?
spinner45
Sounds like you speakers may be wired out of phase. Try reversing +/- connectors on one speaker.
You say that you have "a tube preamp". Many tube preamps invert phase, (mine does). If yours does, you need to swap + and - on both speakers.
I once accidentally swapped +- on the speaker and my brand new amp blown the whole output stage. Fuse didn't act fast enough to prevent output stage from blowing.
In DC coupled amps DC component of signal is diverted to chassis. Connecting speakers reverse to DC-coupled amp may cause the amplifier damage.
I have never heard of this and don't see how it could occur. I have used DC coupled amps in the past and have reversed wiring many times. Wouldn't a phase reversal switch also blow the amp in your description? My CJ 350 reverses phase as does my Magic pre amp; would I blow the amp if I were to use them together? I must be missing something here but not being an electronics expert have no idea what it is.
Stan,

That one was primitive Creek 4330SE and there was a clear instruction not to swap speaker terminals or kaput.
Your amps have isolated ground most likely.