Upgrade from Classe SSP 800 processor

Hey there,
I’ve been using the Classe SSP 800 in my dedicated home theater room for a while now and while its sound quality is spectacular I think it’s time for me to explore a new current processor that can decode new surround sound formats eg Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, Auro 3D, etc.
Any suggestions?

My SSP 800 has been used strictly for surround sound (home theater) as I do have a separate dedicated stereo setup and system in a separate two-channel listening room. So that said, the new processor will also be used strictly for home theater (surrounds).

My current home theater gears are the following :
* Oppo UDP 205.
* Sony 4k OLED tv (85").
* Classe SSP 800.
* Classe Delta CAM-600 monoblock amps to power my front LR speakers.
* Classe Delta CAM-300 monoblock amp (single) to power my center speaker.
* Classe Delta CA-2300 five-channel amp to power my surrounds.
* B&W 800 D3 front speakers.
* B&W 800 HTML1 D3 center speaker.
* B&W 804 D3 & 805 D3 for surrounds.
*JL Audio Gotham subwoofer.
* 2 of Audioquest Niagara 7000 power product.

I am going to start working on remodeling my dedicated HT room in order to accommodate additional overhead speakers for Atmos setup. And when I get a new processor I will also need to get additional multi-channel amps to power additional speakers necessary.
I might get rid of my B&W 804 D3 & 805 D3 surround speakers and get the B&W 800 D3 in-wall or on-wall speakers for surrounds instead. 

Any ideas as to what new av preamp processor to get? The one that’s capable of decoding Dolby Atmos & DTS-X. But I'm keeping all the Classe Delta series power amps and will need additional multi-channel amps to power additional overhead speakers etc possibly another Classe amps. 

Thanks in advance guys.

caphill

I am probably a step down in budget from where you are, running Oppo 203, B&W 803D main and matching surround system, 4 in-ceiling B&W for ATMOS , 2 B&W SCM-S   for surrounds,  Rotel amplification, switched from Rotel pre amp/processor to Anthem AVM 60 when I installed Atmos speakers and 7.1 surround speakers.

So far I love the room correction and the Anthem in general. Enjoying Atmos movies, and even dabble with all speaker stereo music listening at times, amazing channel separation with the right material. Difficult to comment on SQ vs. others, I only have experience with the previous Rotel and the new Anthem.    

I’m in the same spot with currently using a SSP-800.  After doing some research I believe I’m going to go with a Lyngdorf MP-50.   Sounds like the room correction software is really top notch.  You may want to check out some of the reviews.

Not cheap, though.   I’m in the process of saving at the moment.
@pattemf132

I am also considering the Anthem AVM60. Heard great things about its ARC2. Great room correction calibration is paramount in home theater (surround / multi-channels) setup environment. This will be used strictly for home theater in my dedicated home theater room.
I have a separate dedicated two-channel setup in a separate listening room that consists of completely different gears. 

@rshad0000

I am also considering the Lyngdorf MP-50 as well as the Datasat RS20i, Trinnov Altitude 16 or 18, Theta Casablanca lVa, and possibly the Meridian Reference 861 v8. But not sure if the Meridian Ref 861 v8 has been updated to accommodate support for Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, Auro 3D or not.

Yes, the Lyngdorf MP-50 retails for $10k brand new and it’s almost the same price as the original retail price of the SSP 800, which was $9500. I’ve heard from many people that the Lyngdorf MP-50 has excellent Room Perfect. I’m not concerned about its stereo performance for 2ch music playbacks as this will be used strictly for home theater (surround sound movies, bluray musical films and concerts). I do have a separate dedicated stereo setup and system in a separate dedicated two-channel listening room that consists of completely different gears.

Btw, what power amps and speaker systems do you currently have in your home theater room besides the SSP 800?
I will be keeping all my Classe Delta series amps in my home theater room and will be adding extra multi-channel amp(s) once I get a new processor to power additional overhead speakers for Dolby Atmos & DTS-X setup. This will wait till I get done remodeling my home theater room in order to accommodate overhead speakers for Atmos setup / system. I will be adding the matching B&W 800 D3 series in-ceiling overhead speakers for Atmos setup. I will probably be adding more sides and backs channels. I will prob be aiming at 9.2.6 setup or 7.2.6. Most likely I will be adding another Classe power amps to power those additional speakers. Probably Classe Sigma series amps because they are compact in size due to class D designs, so that way I can save some space. Cause my existing Classe Delta series amps are huge massive due to class AB designs.

Wow.  Great HT system!  I have to say that after reading Doug Blackburn's review of the MP-50 in Widescreen Review it's hard to imagine the others offering anything better.  I know Doug and he is a straight shooter who is very meticulous, detail oriented, and not given to hyperbole.  So when he calls the Lyngdorf gear in a class of its own I take that as a pretty serious and credible recommendation.  The fact that Doug is a 2-channel guy at his roots gives him more even more credibility IMHO as he's heard some of the best audio out there -- not just HT -- and has that as his baseline for comparison.  I know this is strictly for a HT setup, but as a serious 2-channel guy yourself I'm sure you can appreciate that perspective as well.  Anyway, FWIW and best of luck in your search. 

@soix 

Thanks for the advise.

Yes I read great stuff about the MP-50. 
It is in my short list and it decodes Dolby Atmos & DTS-X that's the most important thing. That's the major reason I want to get rid of my Classe SSP 800 processor cause it does not decode Dolby Atmos & DTS-X. The Room Perfect is very good I've heard. That would be the strength of the Lyngdorf MP-50, right? 

Cause most of my 4k UHD bluray discs are formatted in Dolby Atmos or DTS-X but mostly Dolby Atmos. I'm using the Oppo UDP-205 4k UHD bluray player. 
And even some of newer released regular bluray discs are formatted in Dolby Atmos and few are DTS-X. 

I'm not concerned about a processor capable of passing 4k video signal HDR, hdcp 2.2, etc cause the Oppo UDP-205 is my only video or AV source in my dedicated HT room. And I run a video only HDMI out of my Oppo 205 directly to my 4k uhd display and run the audio only HDMI out of the Oppo 205 to my Classe SSP 800 processor. 
I heard the TaCT preamp in a private system about 18 years ago and what that relatively prehistoric room correction did for that $80k high-end stereo system was flat out amazing.  I also got to hear his system work on a system at a NYC show versus the same system without his room correction, and again, you'd have to be brain dead to not hear the incredible benefits of their room correction system.  Given the amount of time Lyngdorf has had to refine their craft and the review Doug gave their latest effort -- well. 

But at your level, I'd also think about giving my UDP-205 to Ric Schultz of Electronic Visionary Systems to see if you can't get more out of its HDMI out.  I'd be surprised if you don't get some meaningful benefit for relatively little outlay.  Anyway, let us know how it goes and best of luck!
Caphill,  I’m big in to two channel as well so I have gryphon diablo 300 that I use in home theater by pass mode for the L/R(for two Chanel I have a aurender n10 I use with the gryphon).   For the center, surround speakers and left and right back I have a Krell theater amplifier standard that has always worked really well.  The front channel speakers are Focal Sopra 3s with the matching center.   Surrounds are all def tech inwalls.   Also have 2 JL audio f112 subs.   Sounds really good, but like you, I feel it’s time to move on.
@rshad0000

So, are you also going to add overhead speakers for Dolby Atmos & DTS-X setup? Yes, while I love the SSP 800 as far as audio performance as it is a superb sounding pre pro but it's time to move on and get something more current in terms of surround decoding capability eg Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, Auro 3D. 

So you have a hybrid setup I see. I do have a separate dedicated two-channel setup / system in a separate dedicated stereo listening room. 
My dedicated stereo setup consists of the following : 
* DCS Vivaldi full four stacks : Vivaldi master clock, Vivaldi upsampler, Vivaldi DAC, Vivaldi CD/SACD transport.
* Kronos Pro turntable.
* 12" Black Beauty tonearm.
* Air Tight PC-1 Supreme mc cartridge.
* Discrete class A linear PSU for the turntable.
* Dedicated Kronos stand specifically designed for Kronos Pro turntable.
* Audio Research Reference 10 phonostage preamp.
* Naim Statement NAC S1 linestage analog preamp.
* Naim Statement NAP S1 monoblock power amps.
* Magico M6 speakers.
Speaker cables are Transparent Magnum Opus. All interconnects and power cables are Transparent Opus. Digital interconnects are Transparent Reference.
All power products are Shunyata Research Hydra Triton & Typhon with Shunyata Sigma power cables. 

Caphill,
Awesome system! Congrats!  

I dont think, at least initially, I will add the extra speakers.   I’m really looking for the 4K switching and the room correction.   Plus the video on my ssp-800 has been dropping out occasionally, which is really annoying.  Not sure what is going on with that.
@rshad0000

Thanks.

When the video on your SSP 800 was dropping out, what source was it playing from? Was it from your cable tv box or your bluray / 4K UHD bluray player or other AV sources such as gaming consoles, etc? Are you using Oppo UDP-205/203 4K UHD player?
I’ve heard from few people on other forums that the Oppo UDP 205 was causing audio & video dropouts on occasion especially when it’s connected to a Sony 4k TV.

It’s been dropping out with the Xbox one, oppo 205, and directv box.   All when feeding a epson projector or a Sony 4K tv.   It just started doing this about 2 months ago.   Weird...
@rshad0000 

Weird. Mine is fine. There's been hiccups here and there on occasion it may be related to HDMI handshake issues. I only have the Oppo 205 player. that's the only AV source I have connected to the SSP 800 via HDMI. I split the HDMI outs of the Oppo 205. 
I connect the audio only hdmi to the SSP 800 for audio only and the other video only hdmi out directly to my Sony 4k OLED TV. 

Did you run the latest firmware on your SSP 800 as well as the Oppo 205 and other hdmi connected devices? If you already have the latest firmware on your SSP 800 and the video dropouts still occurs on occasion, you should contact Classe customer support group. 
Was it only the video? Or both audio & video? 

Fyi, I'm sure you're aware by now that Classe is no longer owned by B&W Group. B&W Group sold Classe off to Sound United Group early this year. Sound United also owns Denon, Marantz, Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics, Definitive Technology & Heos. 

Yep all my firmwares are up to date.  Checked that several times.   I have mine set up the same way you do in that one hdmi out put from the oppo sends video and the other sends audio.

Only the video drops out while the sound continues.  The LED or the projector just give a message that says source lost.   Than about 30 seconds later it comes back.   I’ve never had this issue before either.   I’ll probably reach out to the classe dealer at some point to get it fixed( so I can sell it).  Probably after I get The lyngdorf.  I’m pretty committed to getting that.
@rshad0000

Hhmmm....yeah...that’s odd. Only the video drops out but the audio stays.
Wondering what hdmi cable are you using to connect your SSP 800 to your display?
Are you using a very long hdmi cable from the SSP 800 to your display?
And you said that you run a video only hdmi out of the Oppo 205 directly to your display. Are you also running a long hdmi cable from the Oppo 205 to your display?

Actually I looked at it again and I am only running the one hdmi cable to my ssp800 from the oppo.  I had the dual output set up on my oppo 105 that I had before.

My HDMI run from the ssp to the projector is a long run of about 25 feet but I’ve never had any problems with that before.  The run to he tv is only 8 feet.   Trouble is I have video drop outs on both and from various sources-Xbox, oppo, directTV.   Only thing I can think of would be something going on with the ssp800 video.
Yeah...weird! Usually when video drops out the audio will drop out too or at least in the case of HDMI handshake. 
But your issue obviously isn't with hdmi handshake. 

I would contact Classe and find out. Most likely you will have to send your unit in for service. 
@soix

Thanks. I will have my Oppo 205 modded by Ric Schultz at EVS once I get a new processor. I finally just completed renovation works with my dedicated theater room in order to accommodate more channels/speakers eg overhead speakers for Atmos setup as well as surround speakers, etc. At the moment I’m using the B&W 804 D3 & 805 D3 for surrounds and will be trading them in for those B&W in-wall custom theater speakers (the matching ones for the B&W 800 D3 speaker system) for surround duties. For main front L/R speakers I have the big B&W 800 D3, and for a center channel speaker I have the matching B&W HTML1 D3. They are all driven by all big Classe Delta series class AB amps. See full descriptions of my HT setup in my original post above.

I just ordered a Lyngdorf MP-50 AV pre pro to replace my beloved Classe SSP 800. I’m going to sell my SSP 800 to my cousin. He’s currently using the Marantz AV8802 processor and now he’s looking for a processor that can perform really well in stereo for music playbacks and can function as a high end stereo preamp as well.
His AV8802 performs well for HT but its stereo performance is somewhat lacking in comparison to the Classe SSP 800. And he doesn’t care about the new formats such as Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, Auro 3D, etc

I will be looking for additional power amps to power additional speakers such as overhead speakers for Atmos setup, etc. Right now I only have 7.2 setup.
I will be going for 7.2.6 setup with the new Lyngdorf MP-50.
I am also looking to purchase B&W (matching for my B&W 800 D3 speaker system) overhead speakers for Atmos setup. I’m also going to trade in my B&W 804 D3 & 805 D3 speakers that I’m currently using for surrounds for those matching B&W in-wall custom theater speakers, the matching ones for my B&W 800 D3 speaker system.
As for additional amps to power the overhead Atmos speakers I might be getting some compact class D amp(s). Am thinking the Classe Sigma Amp2 stereo amp (class D) and the Classe Sigma Amp5 five-channel amp (class D) for those duties. I was initially thinking to get the Parasound Halo A21 & A51 amps but those are huge and run somewhat hot I’ve heard. So the compact Classe Sigma series class D amps would make more sense to power overhead Atmos speakers.
I am using all those big Classe Delta series class AB amps for my front LCR and surround speakers. See full descriptions of my HT setup in my original post above.

What do you guys think of those Classe Sigma series class D amps to power the overhead Atmos speakers?
Just an update on my end...    I ended up buying a new Lyngdorf MP-50 as well and just got it installed and fine tuned yesterday.   Simply incredible is all I can say.   I absolutely loved my Classe(until I had all of the Video drop outs), but can say with the Room Correction programmed and engaged that the MP-50 has taken movies to a whole new level.   Very impressed.

I'm working with my dealer to have Classe SSP-800 looked at.   If it is not too expensive to get it fixed, I will probably do that and list it here on audiogon.

Caphill - I've never listened to the Classe Sigma series class D amps, but I would think it would work great for Atmos speakers--small and compact with a lot of power.   If I ever decide to get the top front and top back speakers for Atmos I will probably do the same.   Right now I am running a 7.2 system.
@rshad0000 

Yes, Room Perfect implementation in the Lyngdorf MP-50 is said to be excellent. 
What power amp(s) are you using? Are you using all Classe Delta series amps?
Are you planning to go Atmos setup eg 7.1.6 or 7.1.4? 
I have an older Krell Theater Amplifier Standard 5 channel for the surrounds and use a Gryphon Diablo 300 in Home Theater Bypass for the L and R channels(for two channel music listening I use just the Diablo).

I'm considering going to a 7.2.4 Atmos setup.  My problem is that I am really maxed out on my AV shelving at the moment so I would need to go with something small like the Classe Sigma to wedge the extra 4 channels in to the system. 
Yes, just get a compact class D five-channel amp such as the Classe Sigma Amp5. I have heard the Classe Sigma Amp5 & Amp2 at a dealer right when they first came out in 2015 so it's been a while ago, but yesterday I had a chance to hear it again at a local dealer and wow! they are fantastic especially for HT (surround sound movies). Its sound is highly resolved, very detailed, smooth, fast, very dynamic with plenty of slams, very clean with unlimited reserves of power and are able to drive just about any difficult loads. They aren’t my kind of amp for listening to music but for surrounds (HT) the Classe Sigma Amp5 are perfect and found nothing that can be faulted.

The Classe Delta series class AB amps are indeed quite a bit better amps than their Sigma series amps especially for music and are in different leagues but the Delta series class AB amps, like the ones I have in my dedicated HT room, are huge massive and very heavy and lot more expensive than the Sigma series amps.
But those Classe Delta series gears were discontinued last year and if you could find a used one they will be discounted.

So the Classe Sigma Amp5 & Amp2 would make more sense to power those overhead speakers for Atmos setup they are small compact and pretty light weight due to class D design.
@rshad0000

How’s your Lyngdorf MP 50 so far?
I’m still in the process of breaking it in. I’ve had Room Perfect properly set up and calibrated and all and got 4 overhead height ceiling speakers for Atmos setup, so my current setup is now 7.2.4. Have added additional power amps to power those overhead ceiling speakers for Atmos setup. I purchased two Classe Sigma Amp2 stereo power amps for that duty since they are compact. Figured it’s only for powering those overhead ceiling speakers for Atmos setup anyway. But all my other amps are Classe AB from Classe Delta series paired with all B&W 800 series D3 speaker system.

I really like it and the room calibration was very easy and works really well(99% calibrated).  
A couple of comments though...

First, I find that the Classe is more configurable overall than the MP-50.    A lot more different settings and configuration options in the menus.   Not that I needed all of them, but they were there if I did.

Second, initially I found the detail and soundfield of the mp-50 to be crazy good, but after a while noticed that some of the body that the classe had was not there; plus was a bit fatiguing.   Wasn’t sure if it was the result of the room correction or just the house sound of the lyngdorf.  I changed the powercord out to a Audioquest Hurricane that I had been using on my renderer and all of a sudden it was there again.   The body and fullness I had before plus the hi def soundfield.

Overall I am very happy with it as a home theater processor.    

BTW- I did compare the two channel capabilities of the Lyngdorf and internal Dac to my Gryphon Diablo 300 and Chord Dave DAC to see what would happen.   The gryphon with the chord was a lot better, but I would have been amazed if it had not been.

How about you?   Thoughts?
@rshad0000

I’m still running my Lyngdorf MP-50 in in order to get it properly and fully broken in. I still haven’t really sit down to make thorough observation yet from a sonic standpoint until it’s fully broken in. I will report back once it’s fully broken in. But so far I’ve been pretty happy with its surround performance with Room Perfect properly calibrated. I’m sure it will only get better over time.
I’ve been using the Shunyata Sigma power cord with my AV processor.
Yes, I agree with you regarding the settings and configurations of the Classe SSP 800 which I found better than the Lyngdorf MP-50. And my gut tells me that basic sound quality alone for two channels without any room correction engaged I think the SSP 800 might be a bit better but things change when the RP is engaged and properly calibrated for surround sound performance (home theater).

It isn’t a fair comparison when you compare the two channel capabilities of the Lyngdorf MP-50 with its internal DAC of course (since the MP-50 does not have analog audio inputs) to that of your Chord Dave DAC and Gryphon Diablo 300 as they are totally different animals and at different price points too. Your Chord Dave DAC alone retails for the same price as the Lyngdorf MP-50 processor which is at $10k. Of course the Chord Dave DAC and the Gryphon Diablo 300 will crush the Lyngdorf MP-50 by large margin. Btw, I’ve heard the Chord Dave DAC in all Naim setup paired with some higher end PMC speakers and they sounded fabulous.

I haven’t got around to compare my new Lyngdorf MP-50 two-channel capability either its internal DAC to that of my dedicated two channel setup that I have in a separate dedicated stereo listening room. Cause my Lyngdorf MP-50 is used strictly for home theater (surrounds) and I have nothing to compare it with in my dedicated home theater room as I don’t have a stereo preamp and a standalone stereo DAC in my home theater room to begin with.
And my dedicated stereo gears that I have in a separate two channel listening room are of high bars. My digital front end consists of the following : DCS Vivaldi full four stacks (Vivaldi master clock, Vivaldi upsampler, Vivaldi DAC, Vivaldi CD/SACD transport). And I am using the Naim Statement NAC S1 linestage analog stereo preamp and the Naim Statement NAP S1 monoblock power amps. These are all cost-no-object design gears and of course and I have no doubt that these will crush my Lyngdorf MP-50 two channel performance with its internal DAC. Not fair comparison to begin with. They are totally different animals and aren't in the same league at all. The Lyngdorf MP-50 is a great performing AV surround processor equipped with spectacular RP (Room Perfect) room correction and it does great job for surround (home theater) duties. That’s what the MP-50 is supposed to do and it does it so well.

Thanks

I agree with you completely on your comments of comparing the two channel performance of the gryphon/Chord vs the lyngdorf internal DAC.   I just did it because I was curious how they would compare.

I’ll be curious how you feel about the MP-50 once it is broken in.   I, honestly, don’t think mine is broken in yet either.

Great two channel system, by the way.  I’ve always been a fan of Naim and I bet their statement amps sound fantastic!
Naim Statement gears, which consists of Naim NAC S1 linestage preamp and Naim NAP S1 monoblock amps, are extraordinary and these are statement products/cost-no-object design gears.
Most Naim dealers wouldn't have these Naim Statement gears on display for demo due to the costs of these babies.

I purchased these Naim Statement gears earlier this year. Prior to that I was using 2 pairs of Dan D’Agostino Momentum M400 monoblock amps with the Audio Research Reference 10 linestage preamp, and the Naim Statement gears took everything to the whole new levels of performances. I guess it is expected considering the big price differences.

rshad0000, how long have you had your MP-50? Did you notice that the MP-50 has only XLR balanced analog audio outs? It’s not like I needed the rca single-ended outs or anything. The Classe SSP 800 has both XLR & RCA analog outs. When I was buying additional power amps to power my new overhead height ceiling speakers for Atmos setup I had to purchase two Classe Sigma Amp2 stereo power amps cause the Sigma Amp5 five-channel amp has XLR inputs for only front L/R channels and with the remaining channels only available in single-ended. So I couldn’t get the Sigma Amp5 five-channel amp. Instead I had to get two Sigma Amp2 stereo power amps since the Sigma Amp2 stereo amp has XLR inputs. Cause I now have 4 overhead ceiling speakers for Atmos setup. But the rest of my Classe Delta series class AB amps all have XLR inputs on them.
Caphill,  Yes, I ran into a problem with it only having xlr outputs as well.   My Gryphon only has a rca input for the HT pass through so I had to use xlr to rca adapters.
@rshad0000

I’m concerned that the xlr to rca adapter will degrade the signal thus sound quality. I would avoid using that. But it seems like you have no choice since your HT bypass on your Gryphon is rca.

Yes, I can't wait till my new MP-50 fully settles in. 
I’m really surprised that Gryphon decided on rca instead of xlr for their HT pass through input.   
Yes I was surprised too especially considering the Gryphon Diablo 300 price point. 
I think you better get a very good quality xlr to rca converter. 
Cap hill,  Yea, you are probably right.   I’ve seen a jensen converter that I think have some sort of transformers in them to mitigate hum.   I may give those a try.  
Or alternatively you should look for another high end stereo analog integrated amp with HT bypass available in XLR. I know the D’Agostino Momentum stereo integrated has HT bypass in XLR if that would be something that’s in line with your budget. Dan makes great stuff but expensive.

Or look elsewhere and look into Tidal, CH Precision, Soulution, Vitus Audio, Burmester, Ayre, Audionet, Gamut, T&A, Boulder, Esoteric if you prefer solid state. I’m sure any of these will have a HT bypass available in XLR. Any of these make spectacular gears as well but again expensive.

@rshad0000 

How is the Lyngdorf MP-50 working out for you in your setup and system? I'm sure it should be fully broken in by now. 
Mine is doing excellent in my dedicated HT setup/system and is fully broken in now. 

Caphill and rshad000,

I’d appreciate any opinions on the Lyndorf’s 2ch performance.
My plan is to update my Classe ssp800. I currently have my Aurender a10 into the Classe/analog bypass, therefore using the a10’s dacs. I’m quite happy with the results.

It’s a bit of a bummer that the lyngdorf do not have analog inputs.
I’d hate to think that the Lyngdorf/A10 combo wouldn’t better the classe/A10.

Thanks...
@btw22 
@rshad0000 

I don't usually listen to 2ch music in my dedicated HT room as I do have a separate 2ch setup and system in a separate 2ch listening room. 
So I'm using my HT processor strictly for surround sound movies (4K UHD bluray & Blu-ray Disc playbacks) and some bluray concert bluray and 4K UHD & bluray musical films. But I have tried the SSP 800 for stereo music playbacks before and it performed very well for an AV preamp processor. Yes, the Lyngdorf MP-50 does not have any analog inputs. I recently tried the MP-50 stereo performance for music using its built-in DAC of course. I hate to say that the Classe SSP 800 still sounded better. Even when used for surround movies the SSP 800 is still superior in my setup and system. The SSP 800 has more body and volume and just sounded right and had the right amount of bites. In my very own setup / system the Lyngdorf MP-50 sounded lean, thin, brighter and somewhat fatiguing at times and lacking body and volume in comparison to the SSP 800. But with the Room Perfect properly calibrated the clarity, details and resolution on the Lyngdorf is excellent when used for surround sound movies, and so is the SSP 800. But IMO the Lyngdorf slightly edges out the SSP 800 in clarity and resolution with the Room Perfect properly set up and calibrated but it's bright kinda thin lean sounding in comparison to the SSP 800, at least in my very own setup and system. Overall the SSP 800 is more balanced throughout the spectrum, smoother and more refined than the Lyngdorf. But the Room Perfect in the Lyngdorf is pretty good and effective be it's easy to navigate and use and will make it easier for end users to re-calibrate when you change speakers or speaker placements or change power amps, etc.

Frankly I kinda regreted selling my SSP 800 and I missed its excellent sound quality. The main reason I got rid of the SSP 800 was because I wanted Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. That's why I ended up with the Lyngdorf. And Dolby Atmos & DTS-X will give you different surround sound experiences than regular surround sound experiences (DTS HD MA, Dolby True-HD, Dolby Digital, DTS).
Now I'm seriously thinking to sell my Lyngdorf and get either the Audio Control Mastro 9 or the Datasat RS20i or the Trinnov Altitude 16 or 18. I've heard great things about the Audio Control Maestro 9 being superior sonically to the Lyngdorf MP-50 and both the Audio Control Maestro 9 and the MP-50 are the same price. And the Audio Control Maestro 9 also decodes Dolby Atmos, DTS-X & Auro 3D and supports 4K pass through, hdcp 2.2, HDR & Dolby Vision on the video side. 

I was told by a reliable source that Classe is going to release the replacement for the SSP 800 possibly in 2020 and it will be bad ass but it will be very expensive possibly around $16k to $20k. Don't know what it's going to be called yet. 
It will probably be the best of the best. We shall see. When it happens I will most likely upgrade again. 

So btw22 I'm sure the DAC in your Aurender A10 is way superior to that of the Lyngdorf MP-50 of the SSP 800. But since the MP-50 does not have analog inputs so your current configuration with the SSP 800 in bypassed mode using the DAC in your A10 going analog into the SSP 800 will be superior sounding in comparison to the A10 going digital into the MP-50. 
Keep your SSP 800 for now if you don't need Dolby Atmos, DTS-X or 4K pass through & HDR, etc. 

@btw22
@rshad0000

Don’t get me wrong, the Lyngdorf MP-50 is veer good especially when its Room Perfect properly set up and calibrated. The RP made big difference it helps stirring the surround sound better than the SSP 800. The clarity, resolution, details are also excellent on the Lyngdorf. I would say both processors are comparable when it comes to details and resolution but the surround sound movies felt more immersive on the Lyngdorf especially those formatted in Dolby Atmos or DTS-X if you have Atmos setup with overhead ceiling speakers. The SSP 800 does not decode Atmos or DTS-X. However, the SSP 800 has more body volume and more refined sounding overall and smoother. It's more balanced throughout the spectrum and if sounded just right al least in my very own setup and system. 

I wished the Classe upgraded the SSP 800 boards with software and hardware upgrades in order to accommodate supports for Dolby Atmos, DTS-X & Auro-3D.
I would have kept using the SSP 800 if that was the case.

caphill,

Thanks so much for your insight. I assumed that the lyngdorf would be better than my classe when it came to HT, especially with Room Perfect, which I know will make a significant difference in my room.

As much as I want Dolby Atmos, I realize that the only way to truly know is to try it in my system but I’m a bit hesitant and already suspected that the lyngdorf, with its high price tag, might not equal my Classe/a10 combo, which I’m really happy with. 

You’re correct when you say that the classe is well balanced. It’s such a musical processor. I’ve gone thru about 8 or 9 hi-end pre/pros in the last 20 years and without a doubt, the Classe bested them all by a lot when in came to 2ch performance.

It wouldve made my decision so much easier if the lyngdorf had analog inputs. Not sure why they decided to forgo that option. Not too many options left for me if I’m not happy with the lyngdorf. Not really sure I want to go back to the classe either after parting with it and experiencing Dolby Atmos with a Room Perfect. :(

Thanks again..

@btw22  

Even when used for surround sound movies or HT the SSP 800 has more body and volume and is more balanced tonally than the Lyngdorf IMO but the Lyngdorf MP-50 sounded more exciting with better clarity, tad better details, resolution and better stirring of the surround sound than the SSP 800. I give credits to Room Perfect as it made big difference. For surrounds or HT with Room Perfect properly set up and calibrated there's no ringing to the sound as it's so crystal clear and very clean and more three dimensionals with the Lyngdorf MP-50 but at the same time It's somewhat lean and thinner lacking body and volume in comparison to the SSP 800, at least in my own setup and system. It might sound different in different setup and system. Or it's possible that the SSP 800 had better synergy with all my Classe Delta series class AB amps and B&W 800 series D3 speaker system in my dedicated HT room. 

Or you can get the Classe Sigma SSP Mk2 processor that supports Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and 4K and stuff. The Sigma SSP is optimized for stereo and its stereo performance is actually better than the SSP 800. The Sigma SSP is a quieter design than the SSP 800. The Sigma SSP's USB DAC input sounded really good for stereo music materials and sounded way better than its other digital inputs for stereo music playbacks. The Sigma SSP has XLR & RCA stereo analog audio inputs so you can connect your Aurender A10 using XLR analog into the Sigma SSP and set the Sigma SSP in bypass mode like what you're doing with your SSP 800 right now. The Sigma SSP actually sounded better than the SSP 800 when used as a stereo preamp. But the SSP 800 will perform and sound better for surrounds (HT) as all channels in the SSP 800 are all true differential or fully balanced design whereas with the Sigma SSP, only the front LR channels are true differential or fully balanced design and the remaining channels are single-ended design but they are still very good. 

The Classe Sigma SSP Mk2 retails for $6k new and I believe is no longer in production since Classe was acquired by Sound United in January 2018. If you look at the back panels on the Sigma SSP it looks more like a stereo preamp/DAC processor than a HT multi-channel preamp surround processor. The connectivities on the Sigma SSP is very limited and has the least connections compared to all other HT processors as the Sigma SSP is optimized for stereo. 
Classe originally designed the Sigma SSP for stereo or as a stereo preamp but later decided to add center and surround channels and HDMI av board into it and integrated it into a HT pre pro. 

But for surrounds the Lyngdorf MP-50 will be much better choice than the Sigma SSP and will perform better than the Sigma SSP. Hands down. If you go with the Lyngdorf MP-50 I suggest that you get a dedicated stereo analog preamp with HT bypass mode so that you can connect your Aurender A10 going analog into a stereo analog preamp. There are countless options out there. But the whole thing will cost you way more. 

Or alternatively you can try connecting your Aurender A10 using either spdif (coax digital) or AES/EBU digital into the Lyngdorf MP-50 and see how it will sound. I've heard from other Lyngdorf MP-50 users in other forums that the NP-50's DAC sounded very good when used for streaming stereo music materials. 
I personally never tried it as I'm using my Lyngdorf strictly for surround movies or HT as this is my dedicated HT room. 
I don't listen to stereo music in this HT room. I have a separate reference stereo setup/system in a separate dedicated two-channel listening room.
The bryston sp3 is the best preamp for both stereo and surround that I have heard.  It replaced my classe ssp30.  At $15k the new sp4 is just too expensive but Im excited to hear it one day.  
Yes indeed the Bryston SP3 is really good when used as an analog stereo preamp in bypass mode for stereo music playbacks, actually a tad better than both the Classe SSP 800 or the Sigma SSP in this regard.

However, for surrounds or HT it lacks room correction. The Classe SSP 800 or the Sigma SSP also lack auto room correction software but at least Classe provides a manual PEQ (Parametrix EQ) eventhough it isn’t as effective as good room corrections such as Room Perfect, ARC, Dirac Live.
The Bryston SP3 does not even have a manual PEQ and does not support 4k, Dolby Atmos, DTS-X or Auro 3-D.
btw22 is looking for a processor that can support latest formats and codecs.
The SP4 supports the latest formats but it’s $15k. Not sure if btw22 is willing to drop $15k for a HT processor.

@frostdotcom
How old was your Classe SSP30? It must have been 15 to 20 yrs old?
I knew the fact that prior to the SSP 800 there was SSP600. I couldn’t recall about the SSP30 though.
The SSP 800 sounded night and day better than the SSP 600. They aren’t in the same league sonically.
btw22

I haven't had a chance to respond, but honestly I think that caphill summarized it perfectly; especially," Even when used for surround sound movies or HT the SSP 800 has more body and volume and is more balanced tonally than the Lyngdorf IMO but the Lyngdorf MP-50 sounded more exciting with better clarity, tad better details, resolution and better stirring of the surround sound than the SSP 800."  He's dead on.   

The MP-50 is a great surround sound processor and I really like the room correction.   However the SSP-800 is what I would call a processor that is really designed for music as well as movies.   I miss hearing the music scores from movies through the SSP(ie Lord of the Rings trilogy) that would really pull you in to the movie.    The more neutral sound of the MP-50 makes dialogue, etc more clearer, though, but the music through the SSP800 is very nice.

One note, I have found that changing power cords on the MP-50 changed the sonic character of it a bit. 

First that I'm hearing that Classe may make a high end processor again to replace the 800.   I'm interested to see what they come up with!
@btw22
@rshad0000

And I would add to the fact that the Lyngdorf does support those 3D object surround sound formats such as Dolby Atmos, DTS-X & Auro-3D which the SSP 800 cannot. Especially if you have lots of movie content materials (newer bluray releases & all 4k UHD discs) that are formatted in Dolby Atmos or DTS-X and they will elevate the immersive surround sound experiences from movie watching to a whole new level, which brings a level of excitement to the next level. Even with those regular bluray discs that are DTS-HD MA or Dolby True-HD formats, you can do upmixing to fill in for Dolby Atmos & DTS-X. That’s the main reason I got rid of the SSP 800 and bought the Lyngdorf MP-50 in the first place cause I wanted Dolby Atmos, DTS-X & Auro-3D. I have added 4 overhead ceiling speakers for Atmos setup, so my new current setup now is 7.2.4. Plus the Lyngdorf has a really good Room Perfect room correction and when set up and calibrated correctly and properly I found it very effective and will get you to having better clarity, details, resolution and better immersive in surround sound setup.

btw22
But if you aren’t interested in 4k pass through, HDR, Dolby Atmos, DTS-X or Auro 3-D and not willing to add extra overhead ceiling speakers for Atmos setup I suggest that you keep your SSP 800. Frankly, I missed the performance and overall sonic quality of the SSP 800 especially when watching Bluray concerts and bluray/4k UHD bluray musical films. In these regards IMO the SSP 800 is better. The Lyngdorf is somewhat leaner sounding and is somewhat on the bright side and sterile sounding and can be fatiguing at times in my own setup and system. I’m sure it would probably sound different in different setups and systems. The SSP 800 is way more musical than the Lyngdorf MP-50. 
I’m using a very high end power cord for the Lyngdorf, it is the Shunyata Research Sigma power cord it is the same power cord that I used for the SSP 800. I have all Shunyata Sigma power cables for all my power amps, Oppo 205 & subs in my dedicated home theater room.

Yes, rshad0000 was correct. Classe will release an ultra high end HT processor to replace the SSP 800 in 2020, but it will be very expensive and it’s expected to be a cost-no-object design gear. I’ve heard from the insider within Classe HQ that it will be expected to be priced around $18k and up to $20k ish. And it will be more polished than the SSP 800 or the Sigma SSP. It will be equipped with a top notch auto room correction calibration, don’t know what it’s going to be at this point and it’s supposed to excel in both stereo music and surroounds for movies and will be significantly better than the SSP 800. It will be a major step up sonically from the SSP 800 and this will crush the Lyngdorf MP-50 and most other high end processors. Today Classe is under new ownership (Sound United) and they will decide to equip Classe’s future HT processors with a top notch auto room correction calibration.

Right now I might want to sell or trade in my Lyngdorf MP-50 for the Datasat RS20i, which is supposed to be way better than the Lyngdorf but it’s at different price point than the Lyngdorf. It’s around $23k.
I’m also considering the Trinnov Altitude & the new Bryston SP4, which are supposed to be very good. Will see.
Or I might just live with the Lyngdorf MP-50 and wait until Classe launches a new replacement for the SSP 800 in 2020, which will crush the Lyngdorf and most other high end processors.
@caphill
@rshad0000

Thank you so much to you both for a very thorough response. It’s been a big help. As much as I would like to have Atmos, I really don’t have the space and I’m pretty satisfied with 5.1 audio surround with my Classe for now. I would have to move my layout around a bit just to accommodate the extra 2ch amp, and the extra overhead speakers. I know what you both mean about that Classe “musicality”, and last thing I wanna do is compromise my 2ch.

I’m guessing I’ll stick to the classe for now till my options change. I’m fairly confident that you’re both correct in your findings regarding the Lyngdorf with 2ch, which is too bad because any processor over $10k retail is just overkill for my NYC apt. 

@caphill
Surely the Classe had great synergy with your Delta amps and B&W speakers. I myself have Dali Euphonias/5ch Simaudio Titan amp combo for more than 10 years now and it sounds wonderful. Can’t imagine a better combo without spending twice as much.

Thanks again to you both...
Happy Listening...
Looks like the Bryson SP4 might be the best of both worlds but that $14K price tag is hard to justify. 
@btw22 

I don't listen to two-channel music in my dedicated theater room. I have a separate two-channel setup in different listening room. But the SSP 800 is better than the Lyngdorf when used for watching bluray concert films and musical films on bluray & 4k UHD discs. Sounded more musical than the Lyngdorf. Even some great movies with great musical scores are better when played back through the SSP 800. 
The Bryston SP4 looks interesting.  I noticed in one of the pictures it says that it’s,”Made in France”.   I believe Bryston is a Canadian company.  I wonder if they have someone building it for them?