Vandersteen 2ce Signature and Signature 2?

Any way to tell the 2ce Signature to the 2ce Signature2? 
Thanks
harley52
The original question was
Any way to tell the 2ce Signature to the 2ce Signature2?
The 2Ce Signature is distinguished from the original 2 Ce by the inclusion of RV's autograph on the backplate. An easy way to distinguish the 2Ce Signature II from 2Ce Signature is if the backplate also says "30th Anniversary". *But* early Sig II's had the 2Ce Signature plate with "II" added to the serial number. [of course, there are many substantial internal changes, also]

I know because my pair, purchased January 2008, was the latter case. Circa 2012, RV upgraded to the midrange driver to the "woven" diaphragm that audioconnection referenced. This is an improved, but un-named, version, ie, still "2Ce Signature II". RV (and many other manufacturers such as Ayre) often includes running improvements in his models but only changes the name when he feels they're significant.

If you want the very best performance you need to buy current production. But $1000 for the first iteration of the Sig II will sound really good and is a good deal.
I went from vintage 4' tall generic floor speakers with 8" drivers to ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2s. Even without hooking up the sub, these babies sing. The old guys had decent enough bass but like older gear, they lacked something. I am not a sophisticated and experienced reviewer so I am not able to say just what it was. Not so with the ELACs. I am actually listening to real music once again. I even have taken a first few steps into vinyl. I gave my old 1999 Technics TT away because we had not used it in a decade. I haven't broken the bank with my new U Turn TT but I got the loaded up version for about $450 and Ortophone Red cart. Time will tell if I go very far down that road but I will give it an honest shot. Now I have to find some reference platters. 
I had one that didn’t have the 30th anniversary sticker it it had the “II” at the end of the serial number.
The 2Ce Signature is distinguished from the original 2 Ce by the inclusion of RV's autograph on the backplate.
Wasn't aware of that. Good info. My 2CE Sig 'I's do, in fact' have Richards signature. I guess the moniker now makes sense ;-) Strangely enough, I never made that conscious connection.

If you want the very best performance you need to buy current production. But $1000 for the first iteration of the Sig II will sound really good and is a good deal.

I agree. That does seem like a great deal. I see many 'Sig 1s' going for that and more. Personally, when you look at the alternatives out there, I think Vandy's cost vs value are hard to beat regardless of series, new or used. Heck, IMO, my older 1CE's, for what I bought them for, are far better than any alternative I was looking at. I keep thinking about selling them for the same amount I paid, but cannot bring myself to do it.
I think Bkeske makes a good point.
Despite being 'long in the tooth', Vandy's have always outperformed the competitors both in sound and price. 
Truly a great value.
B