Vandersteen 2CE Signature Speakers

Hello.  I recently auditioned a used pair of Vandersteen 2CE Signature speakers. I found them to be amazing for jazz (lots of detail, great imaging) - really everything I read about on how these speakers sound.  However, upon listening to classical (full orchestral recordings of Mahler symphonies and Strauss tone poems), I found them to be boxy, dull and closed (quite the opposite from the jazz recordings).

Is this normal?  Why would this happen?  What can be done to fix this? I would like to buy them. 

Thanks
128x128cspiegs
Work the speakers, setup setup setup !!!!!!!
and the room w modest treatments and then cables.

i actually own a shotgun bi-wire set of the Canare and have used them with Apogee Stage , Cornwalls, Vandersteen 1ci
they are pretty good, especially for the $$$
i am using AQ spades and bananas

slightly bettered by a non DBS now ancient set of AQ shotgun biwire Type 6

The idea that a speaker plays jazz and rock well, but not classical is crazy. The requirements for a loudspeaker for all music is the same: "play it as accurately as possible with as little damage as possible for the money".

I don’t fully agree, because what we want from each are different emotions. I have very (objectively) neutral speakers, which I feel are a little light in the bass for R&R, but perfect for Jazz, Choral, Orchestral and movies (latter with a sub). Listening to R&R, I may turn up the bass. :) Also, at low volumes, they lack detail, so loudness helps. Some speakers may be heavier in the bass, or more U shaped responses making them more suitable.

Still, to the OP’s point, actually that sounds more like electronics. As another mentioned, do think about room treatment. Contact GIK Acoustics for advice and high value products.
Best,
E
Guys, just ask the designers of speakers and they will 100% disagree with you.  Music is music.  A great speaker needs to be able to reproduce what it's fed.  Plain and simple.  I really think the problem is that we have all been told that quantity bass is better than quality bass.  A boost in the lower or mid treble gives us more sound stage or sparkle.  

I've had this conversation with a few of the top speaker designers over the many years I've loved audio and music and each one says what I posted. I'm just parroting, but yes I totally agree.  I auditioned so many speakers before getting my Quatro's and the Treo's before that.  I noticed that so many makers will use the same cuts to show off their various strengths.  Then I listen to my own music and they fell flat on their faces.  When I did the same for the Vandy's and a few others, they played all songs very well (to my ears as well as others I"ve auditioned with).

Some speakers are highly dynamic, but lacking in detail and layering.  Some speakers don't worry about teh sub bass and the foundation of the music.  Manufacturer's have to make compromises, I get that, but if you have a great speaker that is fairly neutral from top to bottom, it should be able to play all music well.  

Eric, you won't agree and I get that.  This has been deeply ingrained in audiophiles since the beginning of the hobby and it's not going away.  It's too bad as you don't need to settle as there are many speakers that can play anything.  
My guess is that the speakers were not set up optimally for bass, which did not become apparent until music with a lot of complex and "thick" mid-bass was played.  The thick mid-bass sound will compromise midrange transparency and make the speakers sound "boxy".