Vandersteen question

It's time to upgrade my speakers. I'm very impressed by the Vandersteen 3A Sig. but am concerned that I don't have enough power. I just got a pair of Quicksilver MiniMite monoblock tube amps that are 25 watts/channel matched with the Eastern Electric MiniMax preamp (20 db gain). Presently I've got Klipsch Heresys that are very efficient at 96db/1watt. I can barely turn the volume past the 9 o'clock position before the sound gets to ear bleeding levels.

My question relates to the active preamp with 20 db of gain. I believe there's a formula that everytime you double the wattage, this increases the SPL by 3 db. With this in mind, 20 db of gain in the preamp would equate to an amp having 6 2/3 times the wattage or 166 watts/channel matched with a passive preamp in my case.

I notice that Vandersteen recommends 100 to 200 W/ch with the 3A Sig while the 2Ce Sig recommends 40 to 60 W/ch. I find this confusing considering that the 3A is more efficient at 87db. The 2Ce is rated at 86db.

Vandy fans - Please enlighten me. Thanks.
mootsdude
mootsdude-

One more comment- sorry everyone for the triple post :)

I once used Klipshorns and LaScalas.
You will not regret switching to Vandersteen.
I loved the sounds from Klipsch speakers for a couple years, and then I couldn't listen to them anymore.. I realized that they were fatiguing me and I wasn't really even grasping that for a while.
Switching to the Vandersteens, I have never gotten listening fatigue, and I really enjoy music so much more, and hear so much more.
I hope that just because your amplifier might not mate with Vandersteens that you do not abandon seeking out the 3A Signature.
It will grow on you- it is an amazing speaker

Will
It's matter of taste but I don't think the 25 watts will drive. I would go with at least 100 watts tube and 150 watts solid state for the 3 a sigs.

I found that my old 100 watt tube amp was not up to the task but my 160 watt monoblocks were quite a good match. They like power to show off their lower bass.
Thanks for all the responses. I plan on auditioning the Vandys at some point in my home but it sounds like 25 w/ch will certainly limit them.

Are there any other speaker recommendations that will mate well with my Quicksilver amps? I'm hoping to find a speaker with similar qualities of the 3A Sig for the same price. I assume most Vandy fans will give an emphatic - NO.

When I auditioned the Quicksilver amps at the shop with my preamp, they were driving the Vandy 1C quite well, although this is 90db/watt.
For me loud enough could be even with 15WPC SET but it won't be enough full range-wise which I do prefere. For this I'd go for at least 100Wpc amps.
8-9 feet for me is near field. Sorry...I wasn't specific.
The best I've heard them sound was from about 15 feet away in a HUGE room. Unfortunately, that room isn't mine...
;- )