Vinyl and SACD rule when it comes to...

sound quality.

I recommend checking the below (over 2 hours long) discussion

Deep Listening: Why Audio Quality Matters (December 06, 2008)
http://philoctetes.org/Past_Programs/Deep_Listening_Why_Audio_Quality_Matters

Participants: Steve Berkowitz (Sony), Greg Calbi, Evan Cornog, Michael Fremer (stereophile), Kevin Killen, Craig Street

Happy Holidays!
audioholik
There will never be hope for the masses. Elitism exists. Why do we worry about the masses. If we have the ability to appreciate music beyond the millions who settle for Walmart sound systems, why should we care. And one doesn't have to spend thousands for decent sound. I felt the chill of excellent music on systems costing less than two thousand dollars. Let the ignorant listen to Bose Wave systems!
Mig007. I couldn't have said it better. High quality music reproduction is a priority for me. Most non-audiophiles I know get a bigger kick out of their car stereos (some really tweaked up) than they do when hearing my system. I'm OK with that. We all have our own preferences. Good listening, Jeff
I tended to agree with most of the conversation. One thing I had discussed recently with a non-audio person was that I believe CD actually pushed people away from music. Speaking for myself, I think this is so. I use to really enjoy the time I spent with my records. Once I started listening only to CD's my time spent with music diminished. Finally I stopped buying it. I didn't realize this till many years later. It was a slow creep. One day I decided to buy a new TT and get involved with higher end audio as a hobby. It was like welcoming back a old friend to my life. I still use CD music buck mostly as B/G noise. If I'm going to "LISTEN" it's on vinyl.
Yeah Dmc, right..... my non-audio friends said the same thing. CDs pushed them away from music. So now they all buy vinyl and nothing else. And suddenly all of them became audiophiles. Really!!!! :-)))