Von Schweikert DB99 or Vandersteen 5A ??

Dealers in my area don't carry these models.

I'm sure they're both excellent, but how about some feedback from folks that heard both or owners of either ?
128x128rx8man
With respect to the DB99s VS. the VR4SR question...

In my opinion, the DB99s are *definitely* in a bigger (and better) league than the VR4SRs (I would say there is no competition at all between the two)... I loved the DB99s when I heard them earlier this year, while the VR4SRs heard on the same day left me unimpressed and disappointed (as they are the only VS speakers I haven't cared for). I can't really say the two sounded very much alike either. Soundstage, imaging, bass extension, midrange purity, sensitivity -- all were heavily in favor of the DB99s. The DB99s pulled me into the music, and just let me enjoy the performance, while the SRs just left me cold... I would describe them as lifeless.

The speakers the DB99s sound more similar to actually are the Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System speakers... They also had a very similar sound to the top VS speakers like the VR-9s and VR-12s (but obviously on a smaller scale)... Pretty good company in my book. I definitely encourage an audition before buying the VR4SRs.

---Dave
Thought I might try to revive this thread as I'm pondering the same decision - DB99/5a/(Verity Parsifal?). My room is 18x30 with wood floors and lots of glass, also open to other areas. Currently have an Art Audio Jota 24w SET (no preamp, running direct from Modwright 3910) and Devore Gibbon Super 8 speakers. Listen to everything but lean towards acoustic, jazz, world, classical, not a lot of cheese grater guitar/hair band stuff. But would like to crank up Steely Dan/The Band/Raindogs sometimes. System sounds a little boxed in and congested at times so I'm thinking about a larger speaker. I'm also considering the new Verity Parsifal Ovation. My one concern about the VS DB99 is that I heard it can sound forward. My Jota/Gibbon combo certainly couldn't be accused of being laid back (it doesn't feel like a mid-hall presentation to me) and I wouldn't want any more of the InYourFace quality. I'm aware that the Vandersteen 5a would require an amp change also. I'll be able to audition the 5a but not the DB99 or Parsifal (short of a couple of plane rides). Any wisdom out there (I'm sure there is)? Thanks
Sam
Sam,
I forgot the Parsifals, good choice in speakers.
Another favorite, if you can find a pair, is the Avalon Ascent Mk.2's, simply awe-inspiring, if you have the room.
I'd give a holler to Jonathan Tinn at Chambers Audio, he's well versed on all these, and a straight shooter, nice guy to talk to and very easy to deal with, tell him I sent you.
If you can get a couple large area rug(s) and hang some drapes over the glass, your sound will improve substantially.
Rx8man

Perhaps others who have heard the 99's sound forward may have heard them in improper set ups. When I first got the 99's I did think they sounded forward. What I discovered was that placement was key. Once I got them positioned in my room (my room is tricky due to an unfortunate sophit) the sound stage opened up to amazing levels and the forwardness went away with the exception of instruments which were mixed to sound clean and present from the speaker positions.
The 99 is a dynamic speaker which I think some also may confuse as forward due to there not being used to so much detail and impact in the sound.
I own 99's and they don't sound forward....they reproduce what you feed them.

Larry