VPI Classic and ZYX 4D

Hi guys,

I am finally setting the TT and I was hoping to give it a shoot today but apparently problems never end.
I mounted the pick up on the tonenarm leveled the tonearm and I was just about to regulate the reading weight when I realized that even puching the counterweight all the way in I barely reach 1.2gr.
I own a ZYX 4D with the SB@ option which accordingly to the manufaturer it weights 7.9gr which should be perfectly ok.
I think the Dynavector Diamond is 7.5gr or something like that.
I have never seen anybody having this issues...I tried to reasearch but nothing.
I contacted my dealer but he has no clue.
I tried to call VPI but they are unfortunately close till the 13th!!!!
So I don't know what else to do.

If anybody can give me some help I would really appreciate.

Thank you so much.

Best,
Stefano.
stefanoo
It sounds like you are there with the longer screws which weigh more but, if you need more weight, you could try longer screws which would add weight too.

just a thought...
Hi John,

thank you for yuour post.
I have listened to the cartirge a couple of hours yesterday and it is so dead neutral that I am very, very impressed.
There are a lot of thread stating that the 4D is the same as Atmos.
I don't know about that, but if it would be so , then, your previous Universe, would definitely have to outperform your 4D.

The tracking is perfect, although I am going to make better regulations today with my Mint LP and the Azimuth with the meter (I did it yesterday but I didn't spend so much time on it).

I will probably attach the little bolts to the longer screws (although the ZYX comes with the Zn's option i.e. litle bolts on the body of the cart) and that should add some little weight to it and maybe I will be able to move the counterweight a little bit back from the unipivot.

But it is still unclear to me: is it better to have the counterweight as close as possible to the center pivot or not?

I will probably look into the heavier counterweight from VPI and now I am going to check the internal screw inside the counterweight's stub for for weight's fine adjustments and see what's the situation.
Tom,

I have just checked now and the screw is all the way out toward the outer part of the counterweight's stub, which accordingly to whay you say would suggest that it subtracting (I don't know how much) some weight.
I will screw it all the way in and see what happens.
Stephanoo,

There's no answer to whether it's "better" to have the c/w closer to or farther from the pivot. Each arm/cartridge combination is unique in this respect.

Fortunately any differences from this will be VERY minimal so don't fret about it. Instead, use the following procedure, which will:
a) solve your problem,
b) give you maximum VTF flexibility, and
c) be mechanically and sonically superior.

1. Start with the fine VTF screw all the way IN. It's clearly advantageous to have this screw engaged by as many threads as possible to reduce vibration. You don't want it all the way out, wobbling.

2. With the screw all the way in, set your main c/w so that VTF measures at the UPPER end of the range you think your cartridge prefers. If you think 1.95g is right, set the main c/w so that VTF is slightly higher, like 1.98 or 2.00.

3. Now you can back the screw out *slightly* to get the VTF you want.

Doug

P.S. I agree with using longer/heavier screws and maybe additional nuts, provided you can get them TIGHT. This will increase effective mass, which should benefit this cartridge on this arm.

P.P.S. I've weighed Atmos's with the SB weight. Individual samples vary but 7.95g is typical. The SB-equipped Airy models (Airy 2, Airy 3, UNIverse) weigh about 1g more.

P.P.P.S. As John said, his 4D is outperforming his UNIverse because it has the copper coils, whereas his UNIverse had silver coils. I've had all of these cartridges in my system. A copper coil UNIverse plays rings around a silver coil one, including in the areas of resolution and extension. If he compared his copper coil 4D to a copper coil UNIverse he'd hear something very different.
Hi Doug,

thank you very much for your reply.
You are the expert on the ZYX cart, so I won't comment on that.
Just an aside though.
The ZYX Universe either copper or silver or gold, even more so, they all cost more than the 4D.
How is it possible that a Silver copper coil of a Universe could sound worse than a 4D?
That would lead me to think that the 4D might be a better cartridge.
But if you say otherwise it must be the way you say since I don't have even a close experience you have on cartirdges.

All I can say is that the 4D is a terrific cartridge.
The only complaint is that, on my system, you tell in 2 seconds whether a record is a good pressing or not..and...if it is not...you take it off in 2 seconds.

I guess it is a positive thing...but I am finding out that the majority of the software I have has to be chucked.

Now for the weight issue:

1) I have tighed the screw in the back and I was able to back up a liiittllee bit the counterweight that now is not touching the unipivot's torret.

2) the weight is set to 1.95gr, and the maximum I can reach by touching the unipivot is, I guess, 2.1; my question is: accordingly to the specs of the manufaturer, the maximum weight is 2.5gr. Isn't good practice to set the weight to the maximum weight specified i.e. 2.5gr? do you have experience with this cart and the ideal tracking force?

3) I am still afraid for the antiskating. I haven't set the external mechanical anti-skating system. You told me on another post it wasn't going to skew the cantilever...I really hope so.

4) for the VTA, is it better to have the pick up perfectly parallel to the patter or a little bit sitting up on the record?