VPI JMW9 Tonearm setup questions

I just bought a VPI Aries Scout via mailorder, and am in the process of assembling it. I have some familiarity with setting up and adjusting cartridges and tonearms, BUT, I must admit that I am not familiar with unipivot tonearms.

I have no local dealer that has any VPI turntable set up, so I have not actually seen a JMW tonearm setup. I purchased the Scout based on the very positive comments here on Audiogon and elsewhere.

So, my question is really a basic one. The JMW9 Manual at page 4 states simply to "Place the arm tube assembly on the lower bearing." When I do that, the entire arm is balancing on the sharp pivot point of the lower bearing, but it is otherwise not secure in any respect.

Because the manual has no drawings or pictures showing what parts are to go where, I've been scratching my head wondering if I am missing a part of the bearing assembly that might slide over the sharp pivot point and takes up the space inside the cavity of the upper bearing housing. In fact, the nomenclature of "bearing housing" implies that this cavity is supposed to "house" a bearing, and there is nothing in there except the sharp pivot point.

Am I missing something here? Or is the tonearm supposed to float and wobble around touching absolutely nothing except the pivot point.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Coffee_nudge
Tad
coffee_nudge
Thanks all for the responses. I just wanted to make sure that this is the way the tonearm is supposed to sit before starting in on the cartridge adjustments.

Coffee_nudge
Jmcgrogan2,
There is no oil damping on the JMW9 arm. Are you referring to the main platter bearing? Scouts I've seen (including my own)have come from the factory not requiring any user applied bearing oil.
ANOTHER remedial question:

The manual also indicated that tonearm height (VTA) can be adjusted with the "knurled knob" beneath the pivot. However, when I turn the know, it does not appear to do anything except move the knob itself up and down the threaded shaft.

The manual is not very helpful for a relative "newbie" like me. So what am I supposed to do with this knob, other than twirl it up and down the threaded shaft (no obscene comments please). Keep in mind this is the JMW9 -- I understand the 10 and 12 are somewhat different in the VTA adjustment mechanism.

I apologize for these elementary questions, and appreciate any and all help with this new (to me) tonearm design.
There should also be a small set screw that needs to be lossened. The whole assembly can be adjusted up or down, depending on the knob's position. Loosen the knob, pull the assembly up, retighten the knob. do this in small increments.