VTL 2.5 preamp not too shabby

I recently acquired a VTL 2.5 for $775 locally. Wow!!! I'm very impressed given money spent. Very musical and detailed. Has lots of features and inputs which I like. The Sonic Frontiers Power 2 I'm using can lean towards analytical depending on component match and setup.
However, so far with the VTL it seems a good match. Rest of system is QUAD 22L2s, Jolida JD 100 Underwood Lvl 1 cd player. Any other Agoner's with good experiences and suggestions on tubes? It currently has JJ Teslas. I was tempted to try Amperex or even Mullards for a slightly warmer presentation.
Thanks
pdspecl
My version has the plastic remote. I will acquire some 12AT7 Mullards soon and give those a shot.

The VTL 2.5 (line stage only) just replaced a TAD 150 Signature which is also a nice preamp for the price range. The TAD had slightly wider sound stage but the VTL is more detailed, refined. The VTL also has more inputs. I have numerous components - Sansui TU-517 tuner, Sony reel to reel, Arcam DV-137 used for SACD, HDCD, Luxman G-11 EQ (used only for compensating for poorly mixed material via the tape monitor function), JBL subwoofer. Jolida tube cd player as previously noted. I use a modded Cambridge 640P phono preamp so an internal phono pre is not required. The TAD has a phono section but is not that good to be honest. Overall, I'm happy with the move. My brother has a Joule LA-100 MkIII and really likes it. That may be my next step up the food chain so to speak. As another Agoner noted we are never satisfied and the quest for better audio continues.
Thanks Paul
The TL2.5 is amazing! I just cannot wait to get some of the same make amplifiers. Does anybody know if their new series 2 TL5.5 is available yet?
Narrod, The MF 308cr took my system to the next level. From the moment I plugged it in IT's BEEN WOW!...That's what I've been missing. I can gush on and on...

IMMHO The VTL TL-2.5 has a slightly warm solid state sound. Which can be a good thing with the right equipment. I always wanted it to lush.
Bottom line is that I prefer 'tube' sound, but not overly tubey. The SF amp is not really tube like but mates very well with the VTL 2.5. Certainly sounds tube like yet with good bottom end and snappy dynamics. I'll be keeping this preamp for a while. Tube types and quantities for the VTL make tube rolling a not so costly affair.
Pdspecl

I do miss the rolling tube thing. It sounds like the 2.5 has fit into you system perfectly. I did talk to VTL about up grading mine with a phono stage but never followed up on it. Heck, I spent a year looking for a used TL 5.5 with a solid black face, never warmed up to the two tone look. Enjoy it you have a great Pre.